Diver safety bill moving ahead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Rachel Leitao
5:49 PM, Feb 24, 2016
WPTV_dive_flag_diver_down_1406730188492_7134071_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

WPTV_dive_flag_diver_down_1406730188492_7134071_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

WPTV
WPTV_dive_flag_diver_down_1406730188492_7134071_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

WPTV_dive_flag_diver_down_1406730188492_7134071_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

RIVIERA BEACH, Fla. – Local diver Rob Murphy was run over by a boat while diving in 2009. He lost both legs below the knee and now walks on prosthetics.

“We had a dive flag,” Murphy explained. “It was all legal and properly displayed and unfortunately it just wasn't enough that day.”

A bill swiftly moving through the Florida Senate could potentially make diving safer. The ‘Divers Down Warning Devices’ bill expands the type of devices allowed to alert boaters that submerged divers are in the area.

Murphy says Senate Bill 846 is a good start, but more needs to be done.

“I read it and you know I like the intention of trying to help keep divers safe,” Murphy said. “Unfortunately in reading the bill it seems like kind of a feel good bill that will have very little practical impact on diver safety.”

Murphy would like to see larger dive flags required and stiffer penalties for boaters not adhering to speed and distance requirements.

“People’s lives are at stake,” Murphy detailed. “Please, please watch. Always be on the lookout for dive flags and respect them. These are people on the water. Whether you think you're right or wrong, there's lives at stake so just give them a little space.”

Tuesday the bill moved a little further and was passed in the Florida Senate during its third reading. The companion bill in the Florida House of Representatives is moving little slower. The house bill is on its second reading and has been placed on a special calendar.

Perhaps I am misremembering, but I believe the boater who ran over him and cost him his legs (and nearly his life) had his boat on autopilot while he was busy making coffee. Is that indeed the case? If so, what size dive flag would have prevented that tragedy? If you know the details, can you explain how this new law will make things better?

In August, 2013, I was hit by a fishing boat speeding over Delray Ledges on their way in for a fish weigh in during a summer squall with zero visibility. They ran over our dive flag. It will take a lot more than a dive flag bill to make divers safer, boat operators need to participate and be held accountable for infractions.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think the current bill may mainly be aimed at getting approval for a new type of dive flag, a commercial endeavor.

perhaps more boater and diver education should be included if not already....keep us informed...such a tragedy.

There should be a greater emphasis in boating courses and boating licencing regarding divers, dive operations in open areas, dive flags and so on. Perhaps some kind of signaling device that the dive boat or dive buoy could have to alert boats coming closer to the area where the divers are down, that could alert the approaching boat that it's in a collision course with a restricted zone (the zone where divers are diving). Those devices should be mandatory for boats navigating in areas where divers are supposed to be found.

(Quoted in part my markm)
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think the current bill may mainly be aimed at getting approval for a new type of dive flag, a commercial endeavor.

Hi scubadada,

I agree with your post and I am sorry that you were hit by a moron.

As I am sure you know, but some may not, International law covers international waters and federal law covers inland waters. No need for Florida to create a third dive flag and regulations. Currently, the OP's pictured dive flag is not recognized internationally nor by federal law.

We fly both flags. Signal flag alpha during day operations, with "Restricted With Reason" nav lights for night operations as we want to follow international/inland nav rules. And we fly the popular diver down flag as most people recognize it.

All vessels larger than 39 feet are supposed to have CG-169 in the wheel house while u/w. This book has nav rules for vessels operating in international and inland waters.
USCG Navigation Rules International & Inland

Wikipedia has a brief explanation for both flags.
Diver down flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unless Florida creates a misdemeanor or felony offense for not following nav rules, what good is this law going to do? Except to make conscientious people fly three flags.

markm

Last edited:
Sausages should be written in as well. That's how many people dive and until it's accepted as law, they are in danger... well, more damage.

Perhaps I am misremembering, but I believe the boater who ran over him and cost him his legs (and nearly his life) had his boat on autopilot while he was busy making coffee. Is that indeed the case? If so, what size dive flag would have prevented that tragedy? If you know the details, can you explain how this new law will make things better?

No that is not the case. The ER doctor who ran him over was at the helm. He got fined like $20 per toe, I think it was.

My buddies were on a 24 ft boat with a dive flag flying and a vessel ran right over their vessel sinking their craft and causing injuries in clear weather and calm seas and the operator of the vessel (which was using autopilot) did not receive a citation or fine from the authorities.

So if boaters can currently get away with ignoring dive flags, how will requiring bigger dive flags help solve the problem?

I once watched a 40-foot boat literally run over a dive flag while an OW class was beneath it. We even got video of it happening. When I called the Harbor Patrol, they told us that unless the boater hits someone, there's nothing they can do.

Dive flags are a nice idea ... but with only one side of enforcement at play, these laws are little more than a bad joke.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey, Markmud, I think if you go back and look, you'll find that federal waters extend out to 200 miles (for all intents and purposes) and the required signals are alpha flag/ball/diamond/ball during the day denoting restricted maneuverability, and red/white/red at night, also denoting restricted maneuverability, which is the same as IMO requirements for international waters. State waters of Florida are 3 miles in the Atlantic and 9 miles in the Gulf, and the rules are a rigid dive flag (red with a diagonal white stripe) of appropriate size. There is lots of room for improvement in the regulations, but as has been noted, it doesn't matter if the dive flag is as big as the boat, if the operator isn't paying attention, size doesn't matter.

As big as the Spree is, I still have pleasure craft cut my bow and stern with 4' X 6' Alpha and dive flags flying, and the worst offender is other charter dive boats. Of course, when you get your license from a cracker jack box, it's to be expected.

Back
Top Bottom