Diver Missing of Hout Bay in Cape Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiffoke:
Has anyone got any more info about this?

Does anyone know who the operator was?

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1805171,00.html

I saw this on CDNN last week. It doesnt really give more info than the link you posted.
http://www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s050923.html

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (23 Sep 2005) -- A scuba diving student has gone missing while participating in a PADI night diving course.

In the second PADI night diving course accident within the past month, two of ten course participants tried to abort the dive due to rough seas at Vulcan Rock, off the Hout Bay coast.

As they tried to get back on the boat, one of the divers drifted off into the darkness.

The National Sea Rescue Institute has deployed several boats and a helicopter to search for the missing diver.​
It would be nice to know more.

Willie

I have heard who the operator was but don't want to divulge in case the stories are untrue. What I do know for a fact is that Vulcan Rock is a very advanced dive site in open sea that can drop off tothe 50m depth range, so I would personally never take students for a night dive there. In fact I would not even take advanced certified divers to that site at night. The conditions for diving on the Atlantic side of Cape Town were also not good that night with strong wind and swell. I generally prefer lake like conditions for my student's night dives, and preferably in an enclosed bay.

So my opinion was that the Instructor made some serious judgement errors and I feel sorry for him. I guess stories like these make us more careful by learning from other's mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom