Diver injured on the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwfladiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
According to the Pensacola News Journal a diver was injured on the Aircraft Carrier Uss Oriskany. It did not mention the type of injury the diver suffered. but from the comments to the story it did not come from the diving itself but from something else.
The diver was transported by the Coast Guard to their base in Pensacola then transported to Baptist Hospital in Pensacola. Hope he/she has a full recovery.

Wendell

I have spoken with a Pensacola dive operator within the last few days (about another matter) and this injury had occured the day before. According the the operator's report, the diver began having chest pain while hanging at the safety stop. They got him to the surface, on the boat, and to the hospital. Last report was that the individual was stable and doing well.

Here's the news stories

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770510019

Oriskany diver hospitalized
Published - May, 10, 2007

A diver at the Oriskany artificial reef off Pensacola has been injured.

The diver was transported to the U.S. Coast Guard station at Pensacola Naval Air Station and transferred to Baptist Hospital where he is in stable condition.

The extent of the injuries was not immediately available.

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770511011

Oriskany diver hospitalized
Published - May, 11, 2007

A diver who became ill at the Oriskany artificial reef was in stable condition at Baptist Hospital this morning.

The man, whose identity has not been released, developed an unknown medical condition while diving about 8:30 a.m. Thursday. The medical condition was not available this morning.

The Coast Guard was on routine patrol when they received the call. The patrol boat went to the scene and within 45 minutes were returning to Pensacola Naval Air Station, Coast Guard officials said today.

“That was a really fast response time,” Coast Guard Lt. j.g. Ana Visneski said today.

the only bad thing about the aircraft carrier being that far out(25 miles) is that response time can take quite some time.

i wonder if they'd send a CG helo out there?

25 miles is nothing to a helo

dunno, guess it would depend on the type of injury and if it was life threatening. i may be wrong but i think the nearest CG base with a helicopter is in mobile, ala. 50 miles west of pensacola. but there is NAS Pensacola that has them. the CG station is on base there at nas

The 47-foot Motor Life Boat stationed at Pensacola has no trouble getting to the Oriskany very quickly. When a diver on a trip that I was on got DCS symptoms they were there in a hurry and when they opened the throttles on that boat all you saw was smoke disappearing on the horizon. They had the diver in port in well less than an hour. It would take longer than that to generate a helo sortie unless one was already in the air in the immediate area.

Tom,
Not meaning to take issue with you, but I do belive they could launch a bird and get it out 25 miles in about 15 minutes or so.

Most rescue helicopters are already to go. All the pilot has to do is jump in, strap in, pull the trigger to start the turbine and bring it up to operational RPM and grab a hand full of collective and haul azzzzz. Doesn't take long to cover 25 miles when you're doing 110 mph.

the K

The Kraken:
Most rescue helicopters are already to go.
Y'all are talking apples & oranges. The question is "Is there an alert helo & crew ready to pull the trigger available in Pensacola."
If there is, you're right. If there isn't, Tommy's right.
I sorta doubt there's an alert SAR at NPA (or Eglin or Milton) on weekends.
Rick

:( I wanna be right !!!! :( I wanna be right !!!! :( I wanna be right !!!!!!

Forgive me, Sensei . . . of course you are right and I am wrong.
Please forgive me the errors of my youth and ignorance!!!

the K-ontrite One

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom