Diver in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good to find divers on this forum! I'm recertifying with PADI after a cert. 40+ years ago with NAUI and only 2 unlogged dives. Will enjoy speaking with experienced divers here. Thanks

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...congrats and good luck with your retraining.

So I have only been a warm water diver at Nanakuli, Hawaii. While I enjoy all marine life, my specialty is in venomous and poisonous sea creatures. We used to collect cone snails in Hawaii. Very carefully with gloves.

I believe I encountered a sea snake one time. But it may have been an eel. It paid no attention to me as it hunted on the reef. And that was also Nanakuli, Hawaii. So not sure if sea snakes make it to that part of the Pacific ocean.

I have extensive snorkeling experience, so diving may come a little easier. I've been doing laps in a heated pool with snorkel. Today I'll try swimming without a mask, and breathe with the snorkel. So far I can do 1600 meters with snorkeling gear, and then I'm extremely tired and water logged.

Welcome. Interesting-only 2 dives & 40 years ago? Am curious as to why you didn't do a few dives back then.

I received my NAUI OW cert. when I was 16 years old. Then moved to northern California shortly thereafter. And shortly after that joined the U.S. Navy. Being aboard surface ships for a few years didn't present me with much opportunity to dive.

So I got out of the loop and stuck with surfing, boogie boarding and snorkeling/skin diving. Then on to college with hardly any money or time to spare.

I missed the freedom of being at depth though and communing with King Neptune by breathing underwater. And something to be said about being at depth and doing what most others have never experienced.

The thrill and exhilaration of swimming with schools of Moorish Idols, Humuhumu nukunuku apua'a trigger fish and Morey eels. As well as porpoise, rays and whales.

Today I did more conditioning, swimming 1000 meters. Also swimming without my mask on and snorkel in for about 100 feet at a time in the uncomfortable swimming mode to increase my "drown proofing".

And also putting my face mask and snorkel at the bottom of the pool. Going up for air and diving back down to put mask and snorkel on. Then clearing the snorkel first and clearing the mask without fully surfacing. Did that a few times.

Trying to make the least comfortable situations feel natural and increase my familiarity with it.

Last edited:
Your instructor will be pleased that you're making his/her job that much easier.

Great work your doing. I wish I had been more proactive prior to being certified :D Enjoy returning to the depths and as always, dive safe.

Welcome to SB. A great place to hang out and learn from great people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom