Diver found dead. Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steelyeyes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The local news, Live 99 FM had a story about a deceased male diver found floating near kite beach by a local fisherman today. No news of a possible dive buddy. More news might be forthcoming tomorrow.

Updated link translation button is on the upper left. A snorkeler also drowned in on Kein Bonaire in the same timeframe. That was the second snorkeler death on Klein in two weeks. I know the DM that assisted with the rescue and attempted resuscitation of that victim but it was never reported by any news outlet I could find.

We had just finished a dive at Sweet Dreams, a little South of where the kite surfers are. We were setting up next to a solo diver and got in the water just before him. My husband helped him zip up his wetsuit. When we were heading back towards town, the two police vehicles and two ambulances passed us heading that way. I would love to know that he’s ok. It’s very sad. A snorkeler drowned at about the same time at Klein Bonaire.

It would also be interesting to learn what kind of snorkels were being used by the deceased snorkelers. Full faced?

The diver was a 68 year old man from Belgium. The article states he was an instructor, but no word about the cause.

Is there a place to change it to English?

translated, copied and pasted (via Google):​

Flemish diving instructor (68) died in the Caribbean: “Warm and cheerful man”​

Themed image diver

Diver Themed Image — © Getty Images
GHENT-
Ghent diver Willy Thierens (68) died in a tragic diving accident on the Dutch ABC island of Bonaire. His Diving Club Manta reacts defeated to the sudden death.
Simon Dekaezemaker
Yesterday at 12:21

“We are going to have to say goodbye, process grief, give the emptiness a place. We remember you as a warm, smiley man who was there for everyone at all times. Rest in peace, we will all miss you.” With those words, Diving Club Manta says goodbye to their member Willy Thierens.
The 68-year-old resident of Ghent died on Thursday afternoon in a diving accident on the Dutch island of Bonaire. The avid diver was there on vacation to pursue his favorite hobby. But it went tragically wrong. The exact circumstances are not yet clear.
Diving club Manta reacts devastated to the death. “Willy has been a member for longer than I have,” says chairman Kurt Matthys. “As a renowned instructor, he guided divers, both in theory and in practice. He leaves a great void. We sympathize with his family and friends.”

Back
Top Bottom