Diver fatality in south east Norway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morgan84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It is aweful to write this, but sadly my 49 year old boss passed away this weekend, while diving of the coast of Norway. Lars Petter was an experienced diver, and the incident came as a shock to friends, family and colleagues.

It is still not clear what caused the accident, as he was believed to be in good health, and to have a responsible focus on diving safety. All that is known is that he was brought to the surface by his fellow dive-buddies, and EFR was performed. The ambulance helicopter was quick to arrive, but sadly the doctor was unable to save his life.

I write this with confusion and sorrow. We talked about his trip on friday and i remember telling him how lucky he was to go diving over the weekend. I don't understand how something like this can happen... How should I deal with this? I don't know who to talk to, as I don't want to scare my friends and family.

All I know is that im going to continue to dive. And I hope that everyone remembers to keep safe while diving.

Rest in peace Lars Petter. My thoughts go out to you, your wife and son.

Last edited:
I write this with confusion and sorrow. We talked about his trip on friday and i remember telling him how lucky he was to go diving over the weekend. I don't understand how something like this can happen... How should I deal with this? I don't know who to talk to, as I don't want to scare my friends and family.

All I know is that im going to continue to dive. And I hope that everyone remembers to keep safe while diving.

The process of grieving will take its course, but you will probably find it more helpful to share your feelings in person with others, as opposed to the mixed bag of internet responses which might add to the natural confusion you're feeling.

A quick search turns up a good description of the grieving process.

The Stages Of Grief

Find someone with whom you can share and discuss your feelings, preferably in person.

Best of luck to you in this difficult time.

Dave C

Oh, I'm so sorry.

Having pulled a friend out of the water and tried (unsuccessfully) to resuscitate him, I know that accidents like this can leave you confused and troubled about diving in general, and what it means to you and whether it is worth the risk. All I can say is that the grieving process takes its course, and so does the analysis process. In the end, I still dive, and I hope that's where it takes you, too.

I pray that you find peace in your time of loss. You've come to a group of fellow divers with a great depth of knowledge, understanding, and empathy. As you go through the grieving process, you may find it helpful to speak with a therapist to help you deal with your emotional confusion.

My condolences on your loss.

My sincere condolensces and prayers for you and the family of your boss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom