Diver discovers torpedo off SCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
http://www.cbs8.com/story/22463220/...covers-more-than-fish-off-san-clemente-island

SAN CLEMENTE (CBS 8) - It was a rare and surprising find for divers off the coast of San Clemente Island.

They discovered a state-of-the-art Navy torpedo, sitting on the ocean floor.

"It is very cool... I mean it's very cool... Not every day I run across something like this."

Carl Robbins recognized it right away, a Mark 54 torpedo, property of the US Navy.

"It's one that's generally released by an anti-submarine warfare helicopter and so it's deployed from the helicopter - hits water and it's sensors take over until it finds the submarine it's looking for."

It was sitting 50-feet below his dive boat, which brought the obvious concern, could this thing explode at any second.

Carl went in for a closer look.

"It had the indications of having a warhead on it... However it was overridden by the fact it had the inert load sticker on top of it."

So Carl surfaced and gave his diving buddies onboard the Horizon the all clear.

"It turned out to be a pretty fun event for the group."

The torpedo was found about 75 miles northwest of San Diego, near San Clemente Island.

It's property owned by the Navy and used for training, but the area around it is opened at times to boaters.

The device was actually spotted by someone else on Carl's trip, but his 31 years of civilian work for the Navy gave him the knowledge to identify it and know who to call -- although at first the Navy didn't believe him.

"And as soon as they saw the pictures - all of a sudden I was on speaker phone and everyone in the room was listening to the story... So it took on a whole new serious meaning at that point."

Judging by how clean it looks, the torpedo hasn't been down there very long and it seems to be in pretty good shape.

A unique find for divers and Carl knows there are many more surprises out there just waiting to be found.

"We're just going to keep diving until we find something like that special in the future."

The torpedo is just one of many interesting discoveries Carl has made over the decades he's been diving.

Other finds include the wing of an F-14 aircraft and an old World War II ship originally commanded by L. Ron Hubbard.

That ain't nuthin'. The last time I went to San Clemente, we had to depart post haste because of live fire exercise. As we were heading away from the island, bombs were bursting in air.

That ain't nuthin'. The last time I went to San Clemente, we had to depart post haste because of live fire exercise. As we were heading away from the island, bombs were bursting in air.

Your dive boat operator should have been made aware of any scheduled live fire events. I wonder if they checked before going out there. The Navy closes down areas of SCI that are scheduled for such practice and all boats should be aware of that.

I used to run a kayak camp in the 1970s during which we paddled the entire coastline of Catalina. Our stop the first night was at the mouth of Silver Canyon. On occasion we'd watch live fire events at night (from the safety of 20 miles away).

GREAT FIND........I was U.S. Navy Aircrew in the late 70-80’s doing R&D work on the first generation of Tomahawk Cruise Missiles. We saw more than one sub launched Cruise Missile unintentionally re-enter the water off one of the islands. Often wondered what is out there to find. Congratulations, kind a out does the battery and toilet seat I found last month at Catalina, lol.

Mark 54 Torpedo.jpg

Last edited:
I believe diver Steve Murvine first found that particular torpedo.

Bill

From the movie Hunt for Red October:
Ambassador Andrei Lysenko: One of our submarines, an Alfa, was last reported in the area of the Grand Banks. We have not heard from her for some time.
Dr. Jeffrey Pelt: Andrei, you've lost another submarine?

That is not a Mk 54 Torpedo, that is a MK 54 REXTORP. Inert, non running, reusable exercise torpedo. They are suppose to return to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom