diver dies in fla this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would have been my first ocean dive on Sunday if I had gone. I'm sorta glad I didn't go, as I would like to have some calmer seas my first time.

Sea Waves: Waves generated by the wind blowing at the time, and in the recent past, in the area of observation.

Swell Waves: Waves which have travelled into the area of observation after having been generated by previous winds in other areas. These waves may travel thousands of kilometres from their origin before dying away. There may be swell present even if the wind is calm and there are no 'sea' waves.

Wave Period: The average time interval between passages of successive crests (or troughs) of waves.

Wave Height: Generally taken as the height difference between the wave crest and the preceding trough.

Wave Length: The mean horizontal distance between successive crests (or troughs) of a wave pattern.

Basically I use the Sea wave height as a guide, more than 1 metre seas and we are headed home, as Rick pointed out, a 4 metre swell can still be a nice day.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom