Diver Claims: 148 dives to 100 ft in one day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vet's Park in Redondo Beach... a couple months ago, water temp was probably about 60 at the surface, mid to high 50's at depth.

Edit: I just watched the video again, looks like they have some temp data in a few shots.

Not really a stretch, there a couple of guys in Fl who would do that in a spearfishing tourney.

Is there any World/Guinness-book record for number of continuous dive to 100ft within 24hrs?

Looking at the graph in the video, it looks like he was taking a half hour break every hour or two. Interestingly, the graph showed changes in temperature rather than depth. You can see how many times he went below the thermocline, not how deep. I’m curious how the modeling done on a dive computer does compared to almost 150 repeated surface dives. If it deviates just a couple of percent on a single dive, it could mean at the end of the day you are no where near deco or on your way for a chamber ride.

Reactions: OTF
I wonder why would he be close to bent in freediving?

My thoughts too, bends comes from breathing compressed air at depth, freezing means holding your breath, unless I forgot something.

My thoughts too, bends comes from breathing compressed air at depth, freezing means holding your breath, unless I forgot something.
Bends don’t come from breathing compressed air. It comes from compressed gases being absorbed into your blood stream and ultimately tissues. As long as gas exchange continues to occur and blood circulates, you will onboard gas under pressure. Will those gases reach low circulation tissues like cartilage in a single four minute/100’ dive? No. I have no idea how it would work on 148 dives over the course of the day. How your body loads nitrogen on dives like these is an interesting question.

There may be divers that do this type of free diving in the real world, like the Japanese ama divers or tropical fishermen that spear hunt for a living, so the info may be out there.

No not really. I think he used nitrox and/or oxygen between dives to reduce nitrogen load. Nitrogen absorption occurs when the partial pressure of nitrogen in the lungs is higher than that in the blood stream. That occurs at the same rate - more or less, when holding your breath at depth. Plus 100 ascents from 100 feet at over 100 feet per minute probably causes a little stress as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom