"Diver Attention Symbol" on D6i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been using a D4 for 7 years and it's been great. I recently bought a new D6i and thought I'd wear both for a week of diving to see how they compared. I assumed they used similar algorithms and should match almost exactly.

But unfortunately the D6i didn't live up to expectations. I made two dives each morning for four days in a row. The first dive each morning was to a max depth of 60 to 80 feet (different max depths on different days) and an average depth of 40 to 50 feet. Dive times on every first dive was 45 minutes.

Both computers showed the same NDL for the first dive, but after ascending from the first dive the D6i displayed the "Diver Attention Symbol" (little triangle warning.) The D4 did not display the same warning. I checked my profile and there was no ascent rate violations, never came close to my NDL.

I scoured the D6i manual and found that the warning is triggered if any one of the nine "compartments" used in its algorithm reaches the 75% level at any time during the dive. After downloading the dive data to my PC, I checked the nitrogen loading graph for each of the dives and discovered that one compartment (the middle one of the nine) just reached the 75% level near the end of the dive.

So the computer did exactly what it was supposed to do. I only have two issues and I'm hoping someone, maybe from Suunto, can help me resolve them.

1. I could have ignored the D6i warning, but the computer factored it into my NDL for the second dive. The no deco time for the second dive in the Plan mode of the D6i showed between 10 and 15 minutes less than did the Plan mode of the D4 (e.g. for a dive to 50 feet, the D4 gave me 35 minutes while the D6 gave around 20 minutes.) It was bad enough that my guide was chuckling about the conservatism of Suunto computers (we made a game of comparing our available NDL for the second dive among everyone's computers.) The D6i was ultra ultra conservative because of the issued warning.

The net effect was that I didn't use the D6i for my second dives. I used only my D4, as I've done for years, and everything was just fine. My first dives were fairly conservative to begin with, so it seems that ANY dive I make with the D6i will heavily penalize a repetitive dive. This would seem to practically render the computer useless for a two-tank trip.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM, AND IS THERE A WORKABLE SOLUTION?

(Aaarrghh... I should clarify: is there a workable solution besides "get a different brand of computer"? I'd like to be able to use the D6i...)

I'm confident my D6i is NOT defective. My son dove with me on the trip and he has exactly the same computers: older D4, brand new D6i. His D6i did exactly the same thing.

2. Is there a significant difference between the D4 algorithm and that of the D6i? The difference in second dive NDL was significant... and both computers went for the same dive, on the same wrist, literally right next to each other.

Until I can figure out how to deal with the problem, my D6i will sit on my desk and my D4 will continue diving with me.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

This is a long shot ... double check your D6i personal setting is set at the default "P0" (least conservative).

---------- Post added August 14th, 2015 at 02:58 PM ----------

While at it, also check your D4 if the RGBM value has been set to less than the default "100%" ... making it less conservative. I don't believe the D6i has this functionality btw.

This is a long shot ... double check your D6i personal setting is set at the default "P0" (least conservative).

While at it, also check your D4 if the RGBM value has been set to less than the default "100%" ... making it less conservative. I don't believe the D6i has this functionality btw.

Agree. check the personal settings.

Thanks... that was the first thing I checked the first time it happened. Personal settings on both computers have always been set at 0. The problem is not a settings issue, it's a Suunto algorithm issue. I'm hoping that someone with a deeper knowledge of the difference in the two computers' algorithms can shed some light.

---------- Post added August 16th, 2015 at 09:33 PM ----------

Thanks again... the D4 was set to 50%, and I do vaguely remember setting it that way many years ago. I'll play around with the settings.

Thanks... that was the first thing I checked the first time it happened. Personal settings on both computers have always been set at 0. The problem is not a settings issue, it's a Suunto algorithm issue. I'm hoping that someone with a deeper knowledge of the difference in the two computers' algorithms can shed some light.---------- Post added August 16th, 2015 at 09:33 PM ----------Thanks again... the D4 was set to 50%, and I do vaguely remember setting it that way many years ago. I'll play around with the settings.
If your D4 rgbm is set to 50%, this could be the cause of the significant delta between the NDLs of both computers. Suunto recommends 100% RGBM and will reduce conservatism if the unit is set to 50%. I. Not sure of you can set the RGBM level with a D6i.

How did the middle compartment of 9 get to 75% with out the prior compartments getting there. I assume that the middle of the 9 is a compartment slower than the preceeding 4 and faster that the other 4 compartments.. What you suggest is that at one time the fastest 5 compartments were filled and then the SI lowered the first 4 below 75% leaving the 5th still in the 75-100 range.

Hi, as already suggested the difference is most likely due to the RGBM settings of the D4 if all other conditions were the same. If you want me to take a closer look I'd need your logs... to do so contact me via PM... best regards, Hendrik

Back
Top Bottom