Divemaster or IDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ergo46

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm currently a rescue diver with 150 Dives. I want to go down to the Caribbean for 4 months during College spring break and work in the diving industry. This summer I want to take either my Divemaster course and work as a Divemaster the next summer. Is finding a summer job as a Dive master realistic? or I could do my Divemaster and IDC this summer and work as a instructor next summer. I would only want to do the IDC if I couldnt find a summer job as a DM. So is it worth it doing the IDC course or will I be able to find summer work as a DM in the caribbean?

You probably won't find summer work as a DM in the Caribbean regardless of what courses you take, but it's always nice to dream. My advice would be to go somewhere you'd like to hang out for a few months, do the DM internship, and by then you will have a much better idea about whether or no to stick around and take the IDC. It's only a few weeks extra, but it's a lot of money.

Roatan and Utila are popular places to take those internships. As you'll find out, those places usually only hire instructors to guide dives. Lots of places will only hire local DMs as well.

IMO, the DM internship in the caribbean is a good way to spend a few months diving on a budget, and learning some things as well. Forget about making any money doing it. The IDC is only worth it if you really want to teach OW diving.

If you really want to spend the summer as a DM or instructor, check out Key Largo or the other nearby Keys. There are just as many DM internships there as in the popular Caribbean locales. I've met a lot of 18-to-25 year-olds in KL that have the exact same plan as what you describe. The advantage to KL is you're still in the USA; if you need to get home the airport is a short drive to the north.

It's also pretty easy to arrange a visit, test the waters (so to speak), meet some people and make sure it's where you want to live for a while.

There is a lot of need for DMs and instructors in KL, but there is also a large supply of them. Which means you won't be making much money, but those I've met seem to be having enough fun to make up for it.

Hello, if you'd like the complete details on a Caribbean Divemaster or Instructor internship experience and possibilities after completion, please feel free to e-mail us at internship@roatandiveacademy.com. We are happy to put you in touch with recent DM or Instructor candidates to give you a better feel for the "real life" experience as well. Have a great day!

Most DM's are instructors......far more employable.

I have to agree with decompression: most people that act as dive guides & "divemasters" in resort areas are actually Instructors. Many of them have multiple Specialties, which make them even more desirable/employable.

So if you want some experience, why not DM in your own area? Otherwise, do the IDC and start working up from OWSI. (Still takes a while, though.)

FWIW,

You have already received a lot of good advice in the posts above. Getting work as a DM is much harder than get working as an instructor who also DMs! It also depends on where you want to work and were you are from. Also the languages you speak will make a big difference to your chances of getting a job in some locations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom