Divemaster internship questions (Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clock115

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am just finishing up my undergraduate degree in Biology while studying abroad in Townsville, Australia. I would like to get my DM and maybe instructor before going on to graduate school/peace corp/starting a career. Since I am in Australia now I was thinking Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, or Malaysia due to the lower cost of living and plethora of amazing diving. Can anyone provide insight into the differences between these counties in terms of cost of living and potential divemaster internship opportunities? Price is fairly important but quality of the program is more vital. I am looking for a longer program (at least 2 months) to develop my skills and also to hopefully get a cheaper internship. Does anyone have any specific insight into DMT in these countries or diving in these countries in general?

Cheers!

Having dived many times in each of these countries, the Visayas is where I would go.if I was in your position , Southern Leyte , Malapascua, Dumaguete , Bohol.or Anilao. The weather will be getting better and bettor from now on. You will also learn a great deal about customer care and service and marine creature spotting if you are either trained by a Filipino tutor or you take careful note of how the local DMs work.

These are also wonderful islands with excellent marine life.

Thank you! I will be going from about July-Sept or maybe longer if I do my instructor training. I hear this is typhoon season there at this time. Whats the risk of being unable to dive for days-weeks on end or are the storms generally not that bad?

The weather does not usually get very wet in the Visayas till later in the year, or so we were told. I would go in June to September as the water is warmest then and the vis excellent.

Back
Top Bottom