Divemaster Internship location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skull and Fins

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
well, I read the feeds about this topic until 2017, but I am not sure to find my answer.

I would like to follow the Divemaster course as an intern during 8 weeks (maybe more) in February / March 2020.
I am Advanced (deep, nitrox, drift and dry suit specialty), and Rescue Diver with 40 dives (only two in swimming pool).

I understood they are two types of intership :
- the 'free', where you seems to do all the 'monkey work'
- an other kind where you pay and you are more consider like a customer.
To be clear I don't care about carrying tanks, it's obviously part of the work but I don't want to be a slave either. So I am looking for the second option.

I also read to avoid crowed locations with 'divers factory' as Utila, Conzumel or Koh Tao ...

I am looking for a solid dive center with serious education. Without 20 DM trainees at the same time and contact with real customers.
I am not particularly looking for a party place.

For this season I found places like Mozambique, Tanzania, Cap Verde, Ranja Ampat, Philippines are good.

Some of you already made his divemaster in this places ? Somewhere else ?
All your experiences are very appreciated. Thanks for your help !

Cheers from France,
Julia

Hi Julia

You may want to consider Roatan, a very different vibe to Utila with much smaller numbers of Divemaster trainees, whatever shop you choose there.
HI, thanks a lot, I'll checking out

Belize./Ambergris Caye. Specifically Belize pro dive. Email Emilio/ great operation. I always get great reports from anyone doing DM there. They usually only have one DM student. They are also about to take on all of the customer base from the new 5* resort next door...golf carts to get around the island, cheap living etc.

I wouldn’t bother with Tanzania..the diving is unfortunately not great there..

I was serious about maximising the experience, so I did my Divemaster during the Koa To a monsoon season 2016 so that the environmental challenges would provide me with additional opportunities to learn. I completed the online Theory class but studied for my Divemaster training in Koa Tao. I started the course with about 65 dives and about 10 PADI certifications. I prepared by swimming 1 km training sessions in a pool 3-4 times a week with mask, snorkel and fins. In Koa Tao, I worked hard, studied and reviewed each evening, and completed all the course requirements in 16 days by diving 2-3 dives most days. (e.g. my buddy and I planned and rehearsed the equipment exchange stress test and executed it flawlessly during the exam.) I have a PhD in project management and have about 15 years of project experience. Therefore, I was able to understand the DM course completion requirements, buddy-up with a like-minded DM student (a German PhD engineering student advancing nautical propellor design). I then worked with Simple Life's senior instructor to create and implement our plan to complete the course within 21 days at my young age of 56 years.

If I wanted to work in the dive industry as a DM, my CV could support the story that I am an efficient and effective professional who comes to new opportunities prepared and ready for success evidenced with DM training completed in challenging environmental conditions.

Good luck with your professional journey.

Thanks a lot everyone for your answers, tips, testimony and private messages !

I continued my research and I am quite seduced by Sumatra, Komodo and Bornéo.
Does anybody ever dive or did his divemaster in this area ? Pro / Cons ?
February / March seems okay ?

Does anybody ever dive with Bubble Addict in Palau Weh, Sumatra ? bubble addict | diving courses in French,English & Indonesian
I guess it seems to be what I am looking for, but their divemaster is SSI.

I looked into different threads and the formations seems to be pretty close.
My concern is to proceed to the Instructor level, if I am SSI and they are less shops around the world, it could be harder to find job opportunities ?

Thanks a lot for you advices and you patience !
Cheers,
Julia

T
Does anybody ever dive with Bubble Addict in Palau Weh, Sumatra ? bubble addict | diving courses in French,English & Indonesian
I guess it seems to be what I am looking for, but their divemaster is SSI.

I looked into different threads and the formations seems to be pretty close.
My concern is to proceed to the Instructor level, if I am SSI and they are less shops around the world, it could be harder to find job opportunities ?

Hi Julia,

Maybe have a look at Lumba Lumba Diving Centre - they are situated on the same beach as Bubble Addict, but they teach PADI. I used to work there - the diving is great - and I know a couple of the instructors working there. You would be in good hands...

There is no problem tho', if you want to progress to Instructor as an SSI DM. I regularly have DMs from different agencies on IDCs...

Thanks a lot for your answer and advices !

Hi Julia,

Maybe have a look at Lumba Lumba Diving Centre - they are situated on the same beach as Bubble Addict, but they teach PADI. I used to work there - the diving is great - and I know a couple of the instructors working there. You would be in good hands...

There is no problem tho', if you want to progress to Instructor as an SSI DM. I regularly have DMs from different agencies on IDCs...
Thanks a lot for your answer and advices ! :) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom