Divemaster for a fee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linedog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Where I live, divemaster's are in short supply, to the point where shop employees are trained for free. One is because they make almost no money and two, will divemaster for the instructor for a year or so for free. I am paying full boat for my training, that is fine by me as when I am done I will not "owe" anyone. My buddy, who is a DM is constantly being asked to DM for classes, pool and OW. I am not going into this to make money or become rich, can't do that here. I know instructors make very little off the average OW student, their extra money comes in the advanced classes. In the advanced class there is little or no need for a DM, unlike the large group a instructor might have for an average OW class. My instructor tells me that he hands all his tips to his DM's, and it should pay for their insurance for the year. Here comes the delicate part, could a DM charge for their services? I know you can do just about anything but, with gas at $3.79 a gallon and pool and OW sessions kinda taking up a whole weekend, would some kind of reimbursement be allowed? I am pursuing my DM not for the money as I have a full time job already, the reason I am paying full price. I am pursuing DM because I really love diving and want to share it with others. At the end of the day I really don't want to be in the red just to help out instructors, I know most instructors here teach for the love of it also. But I also don't want my love of the sport to become a business and over shadow the fun. Yes I will be getting free air, (I'm an semi active diver so I get free air anyhow) and discounts on gear, how much more gear do I really need? But I guess it all comes down to the joy of seeing the look on peoples faces as they take their first breath underwater. Arg I can tell this is going to be a challenge already.

Last edited:
I would say no; not while you are interning during your DMC it would be inappropriate. You are there to learn and grow as a diver.

Afterwards it would be a different story since you are rated and a professional.

I would say no; not while you are interning during your DMC it would be inappropriate. You are there to learn and grow as a diver.

Afterwards it would be a different story since you are rated and a professional.

Agree completely. I relate being a DMC as similar to being a college student. You don't expect to make any money, and you pay to get your degree. Any money you make in your field of study is a big unexpected bonus. However, a DM is like a college graduate. Would you then, as a recognized professional agree to work in your field for free, or for tips? Many would say yes-- a much debated subject.

I've heard of very few DMs or Instructors who are "in it for the money". It's the lifestyle and the joy of teaching, they say. I agree with that. But I don't think that means a DM should work for free, or tips. Would a doctor, a plumber, a caddy (that's kind of like a DM)?

I finished my DM this last summer. All the intern stuff I did was free. At one of the Advance OW classes I intern DM'd I was shocked and got a really nice tip. I asked the instructor if I could keep it and he said absolutly. Now that I'm certified I'm paid when I help with classes but it is barely enough to cover my gas. I'm doing it more the love of the sport.

As a trainee, you are still a customer - paying to receive a service. It's unrealistic to expect any compensation for your decision to educate yourself.

Once fully trained/qualified, then it becomes a matter of supply-demand. There's a far greater supply of Divemasters than there is a demand for them. A dive operation will compensate you based upon the value you bring for their business. The qualification means nothing - it's simply an entry point to the working market. However, if you have excellent customer service skills, good in-water skills and recognisably provide a high standard of safety, service and professionalism, then a dive operation may wish to 'secure' your services by offering compensation. If you're "just another divemaster" then they've got plenty of those to choose from... and won't need to secure your loyalty through compensation.

The only value you have as a Divemaster, is the value you create for yourself.

I'm sorry, of course I would not ask for anything while I was a DMC. The question was intended to state that after I become a DM.

After you become a DM... it's still a case of supply vs demand.

If there are a bunch of other qualified DMs willing to work for free, then why would the shop lose profits by paying you? You'd have to be worth the money​, compared to the other DMs that'd work for free.

As I said "The only value you have as a Divemaster, is the value you create for yourself".

it depends on the store/city you're in.

Sydney generally don't pay their DM's, however they do get free perks like servicing, (fun) boat dives, @cost equipment etc etc.... Obviously holiday destinations need to pay their DM's so they're not working in bars all night then half asleep in the water.

even instructors in Sydney are paid well below what the costs of living are.

I've been DMing near Montréal for the last 2 years. The scuba shop I work with doesn't pay for assisting with pool session or certification. Some instructors share their income, some don't. After a while, I knew who I wanted to work with...

However, the shop covers insurance and PADI fees. They pay for DSD, Scuba review and for supervising open pool practices. On top of that, I have nice rebates over equipment and all Nitrox I want for free.

I may be in the minority here but if I take on a DMC who is paying me to learn that is what they are doing. Rinsing gear, shlepping tanks, keeping track of equipment, and where applicable servicing equipment is not learning. That's working for me. I just recently had someone sign on as a DMC. Any expenses they incur while working for me and assisting with classes will be covered. They will either ride with me to the pool or checkouts and if they drive I'll give them gas money. I will also make sure they get free air fills and at least buy lunch and dinner. Any gear they will need will be at keyman or my cost plus shipping. Once they get their DM rating they will be paid enough to cover insurance and dues. As well as a rate based on number of students in the class. I understand that some do it for the love of the sport but at the same time they make it hard for those who need the extra income for gas, food, fuel, insurance, dues, etc..

When DM's and Instructors are used as servants or low paid help it takes away from the professional image they need to portray and project. Golf Pro's make 50 -200 an hour for lessons. And people pay it. Why should dive professionals be looked at as less than any other pro? DM's should always be paid. Shops and instructors should set rates that allow that. Instructors should not be looked at as loss leaders. They should be paid what they are worth and when they themselves bring in a student should get the lions share of the tuition for that student.

Back
Top Bottom