divemaster courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ptango

Registered
Reaction score
would anyone like to recommend a good divemaster course in central america, and before anyone jumps on me...yes I know it's a big place!

My plan/dream is to complete a course and then try and find work, if anyone has done the same I'd be interested to share their experiences.

I'm flexible on location as it all depends where I have the best chances of acheiving these goals.

Obviously a dive school that offers a good internship, and maybe paid work to follow would be perfect

ptango - I recently returned from Utila Honduras where the diving and classes were terrific. Being a newbie I didn't quite know what to expect but my girlfirend and I were very pleasantly surprised. The company company we used, Utila Dive Centre, was great. They are the oldest on the island, of about 19 dive shops! I believe their web address is www.utiladivecentre.com.

While we were there we met quite a few folks who were there for their DM Certs. Most had come there before for other classes and loved it so much they came back. We are planning on doing the same next year possibly for 6 weeks.

Utila is very quiet, inexpensive and safe. Not much else to do on the island other than dive, soak up the sun, sip Salva Vida, and enjoy life passing by.

Best of luck,
Andre':eek:cto:

ok CA is a big place, but

Guatemala has a few places to dive even lake dive, but few on the caribean sea side, maybe you can joint venture it with spanish classes in Antigua, who knows...

El salvador, I know there are 2 dive shops over there but dont know whre they go ???

Nicaragua, there is a small island on the carribean side aparently its heaven !!! only 2 or 3 houses , so not the place to get certified

Costa rica, sorry never went there.

Belize , U wont learn spanish :wink: , a lot of places but dont know where or who is the best to give classes

Honduras, I will follow André's idea, Utila was for me a good place to dive and lot of good souvenirs.

and Mexico ???

for the working part what are your qualifications ?? or it should only b in the diving sector ?

Ptango,

Don't give it another thought. Go to Utila the cheapest way you can get there. You do not need to take any dive equip. unless you just want. Suggest you get on the island, walk around and check out the different shops. There are 11. Deep Blue Divers, owned by a Brithish family and Bay Islands College of Diving are the two "tightest" Some of the others tend to get a little hot doggish. Food & lodging is very cheap on Utila. Go for it & good luck. Don't even look back Cudabait

Thanks to everyone who offered advice above, I've been offline and just got back.

Having looked at what's available in Latin America, I've decided the the quality of teaching as well as the costs are much more attractive in SE Asia, so it looks like I'll be spending a few months of my life in either Thailand or Vietnam soon.

Egypt also looks good but Asia edges it on cost

Hopefully by next summer I'll be in a position to go to South America as an instructor, which seems to make more sense.

I'll try to keep posting on this site, if anyone is interested in seeing how this all turns out!

-Tango

Koh Tao... cheapest and best.
You won't want to leave.

Back
Top Bottom