Divemaster course on a Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markdone

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I found an outfit "down under" that advertises an 18 day DM course, including 2 3-day liveaboard trips. The price seemed attractive given other liveaboard prices plus the class and pool work for DM.

It seemed like a great way to get to DM, especially since I've been trying to get to the GBR anyway.

Has anyone out there done this?

Recommendations?

http://www.prodive-cairns.com.au/page2-7.html

I think that someone was teaching Dive Master on one of the BVI boats over a 2 or 3 week period. I think it was the Cuan Law. might want to check into that if you need other options.

IMHO you will not retain as much of the information if you do your DM in a rushed course like that. Do your DM at home, take it slowly and make it intense, you will get more out of it, and your will be a better DM than if you just get it crammed into 18 days. I guess I just don't consider these to be "real" DM courses, sure you get the card, but how will you stack up to someone who spent the last 6 months working on that same material. How would you compare to yourself if you did the speed class and got the card pronto vs. if you took your time and did everything slowly, making sure that you understood everything.

What practical experience will you get doing it this way? Will you have had the opportunity to work with novice divers and learn from your mistakes? The DM program is not something to take lightly or as a course to take on vacation. However, if you just want the card, and want to be able to wear the cool DM hat, then this speed course might be just what you need to add another card to the collection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom