Dive Xtras X-Prop vs Original Prop on a Cuda 650

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herr2720

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently purchased a Cuda 650. The original owner had an X Prop on it but was also nice enough to include the original prop with a few extra blades and prop parts. It has a lot of other upgrade that make it butt heavy, double gauge setup, programmable electronics and power outlet setup. Unfortunately living inland I dive mostly freshwater (90-95%) and it makes the tail too negative. Swapping out to the original prop it makes it tail neutral when I leave my gauges in place. If I removed the compass/computer module I can cut 8.6oz. My X-prop is a beefy 1lb 8.8oz and my original is 8 oz. Ditching the gauge cluster it becomes slightly negative but very controllable when I balance the nose.

So, this leads me to my question to the users/manufacturers. Opinions, experience, etc. How much advantage is there over the original prop with the X-prop. I personally like the build quality strength of the X-prop when comparing them side by side and it seems to run smoother (slightly better balance of the blades) when running through the gears out of water. Is there an advantage to adjustable vs fixed pitch? Is it worth sacrificing having my gauges on the scooter vs wearing my compass on my forearm to use the X Prop?

Would it be worth adding positive buoyancy to balance out the X-Prop such as adding a cutout of marine grade closed cell foam laminated in aquaseal to the console.

Last edited:
I've got the same setup (used 650, X-Prop mounted, plastic prop as well) and upgraded the electronics to the new programmable one.

It's too heavy for freshwater, you can balance the scooter out, but again, it's negative as a whole.

I don't use the X-Prop, rather I use the plastic prop (but it comes out on extended trips just in case we can't fix an issue that may pop up with the plastic prop).

I can more easily speed match other scooters by adjusting the pitch, or if were doing a lot of scootering with the same scooters, change the speed settings to match up as well (but adjusting the prop is easier, as long as all the speeds are similar between scooters)

_R

The X-Prop is so easy to take on and off, I wish the stock prop was that easy. My other question is if the Delrin X-Prop for the Sierra will fit the Cudas, not that I could find a Delrin X-Prop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom