Dive with killer Whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MUNINSI

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I hope to have a scuba dive with killer whales in North Europe, I once heard that Norway has that event, but I can't find the information, so could anyone give me suggestions ?

I was interested myself in this topic and I will report second hand information on this
There are very expensive trips like a liveboard dedicated to these animals. The boat brings you directly to the spots far off the coast, there are experts who tell you about the animals and their habits, etc. etc.
The only problem is... they cost you a lot
Among these
https://www.stromsholmen.no/services...en/orca-safari
http://www.northern-explorers.com/norway/orca-whales-north-norway#diving
http://www.sdmdiving.com/arctic-orcas/
And others (the first link si the same as dewdropsonrosa)

Then there is another kind of trip, less expensive. You go to a coastal town in the specific time of the year when orcas pass. They follow the migration of the herrings
Mostly it's during winter (you bet it's cold in winter up there...), especially in December or January. That's also the time when they have the northern lights, compatibly with the weather if you stay there one week you should have reasonable chances to see to both orcas and the northern lights
Now, where the animals are...
There is a Facebook Group called "Hvaler i nord" ("whales of the North") mantained by Norwegians. There you can get first hand information on this, and most important, up to date information. Orcas are wild animals their behaviour is not entirely predictable, sometimes they don't pass again in the same place they passed the previous year
The area more or less begins with the town of Tromso, which is also quite big and well connected with its airport. Then other places (better than Tromso perhaps) are in the north of Norway, after Tromso.
In Tromso there is a local tourism agency they recommended to me
To do, the Tromsø region, Whale Watching
There also other operators
Other places where people go are Lofoten islands (where you find also other kinds of wild animals) and especially the town of Andenes
From Tromso you have to take a local flight to Andenes
www.wideroe.no
www.whalesafari.no
The advantage is that in Andenes killer whales and other whales can be spotted more easily (this is the info I collected at least)
Norway in general is not cheap (hotels, food, dives, etc.)
The equipment is mostly rented on site, including the drysuit, and as far as I know only snorkeling and rebreather diving is allowed. Diving with the air tanks is forbidden, it seems it disturbs the whales

Good luck for your trip and give us a report or a feedback if you happen to go there!

To my knowledge, most of the Herring and Orca left Andenes two winters ago.

I browsed the discussions of the Norwegians on this and some people say the best place for orcas is actually Skjervøy north of Tromso during winter (in other places people go also in summer)
About the way orcas feed and herrings migrate, there are different theories, some people say after about 6 or 7 years in the same spot both herrings and orcas move to another place. Don't know if this is a fact though

Then there is another kind of trip, less expensive. You go to a coastal town in the specific time of the year when orcas pass. They follow the migration of the herrings
Mostly it's during winter (you bet it's cold in winter up there...), especially in December or January. That's also the time when they have the northern lights, compatibly with the weather if you stay there one week you should have reasonable chances to see to both orcas and the northern lights
Now, where the animals are...
There is a Facebook Group called "Hvaler i nord" ("whales of the North") mantained by Norwegians. There you can get first hand information on this, and most important, up to date information. Orcas are wild animals their behaviour is not entirely predictable, sometimes they don't pass again in the same place they passed the previous year
The area more or less begins with the town of Tromso, which is also quite big and well connected with its airport. Then other places (better than Tromso perhaps) are in the north of Norway, after Tromso.
In Tromso there is a local tourism agency they recommended to me
To do, the Tromsø region, Whale Watching
There also other operators
Other places where people go are Lofoten islands (where you find also other kinds of wild animals) and especially the town of Andenes
From Tromso you have to take a local flight to Andenes
www.wideroe.no
www.whalesafari.no
The advantage is that in Andenes killer whales and other whales can be spotted more easily (this is the info I collected at least)
Norway in general is not cheap (hotels, food, dives, etc.)
The equipment is mostly rented on site, including the drysuit, and as far as I know only snorkeling and rebreather diving is allowed. Diving with the air tanks is forbidden, it seems it disturbs the whales

Good luck for your trip and give us a report or a feedback if you happen to go there!
thank you so much

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom