Dive trip Puerto Aventuras Sep 2 thru 10 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dive Trip Puerto Aventuras
We stayed at the Omni Puerto Aventuras for 8 days Sep 2 to Sep 10th, and I dove with Dive Aventuras for five days. The dive OP Dive Aventuras is located right in the hotel and is so convenient, I would walk 30 steps from my room to the dive op then walk 3 or 4 minutes to the dive boat, 3 to 5 minute boat ride out to the reefs and then dive, return to hotel for SIT and then repeat. It is the perfect set up for those of us with non-diving spouses. I would go dive the 9am dive, return to the room, see what’s up, then go out and dive again or go have breakfast with my hubby. They also have 2 afternoon and a night dive time available too. I didn’t have to buy a dive package, they just let you dive as many dives as you want and at the end the more dives you dive the cheaper it is per dive, 10 dives is $310.
The diving was awesome, lots of fish, beautiful coral, warm water (84 –88 degrees), excellent vis and hardly any current. We saw turtles several times, an eel, a sea horse, lobster, ray, barracuda, huge puffers and tonnes of fish. I dove Santos Reef, Paradise deep, Paradise shallow, Castille (huge, beautiful castle looking coral formation), Las Islas (my fave) and repeated a couple. Carlos was the DM I dove with everyday and he found stuff under ledges and in cracks and was very helpful with the new divers that dove a couple times. He gave good briefings and reminded people how to do buddy checks. The boats are high sided pangas with shade covers that you do a back roll entry then they have a ladder to get back in. The only negative with the diving is that the OP tends to dive a schedule, so about 45 to 55 minutes regardless of how much air or bottom time you have left. For me that was ok since I wanted to spend time with my hubby too. Their rental gear was Aqualung Breakers BCD and mares or aqualung regs, well taken care of and fairly new. I did notice that the Aquanauts dive OP has a shop right across the street from the Omni and their boat is kept right beside the Dive Aventuras boats.
The Omni hotel was perfect for us. When we first drove up I thought oh no, this is not good. BUT once we checked in it seemed quaint, and then when we saw the room it was wonderful. It is a small hotel with 30 rooms right on the beach. The pool is multi level with lots of nooks and crannies and several bridges. My husband is on crutches and was able to move around well but didn’t have to walk too far for the pool or the beach. The hotel staff was very helpful, they put us in the closest room to the pool, about 20 steps from our little patio (with a Jacuzzi) through a short tunnel of greenery down a curving path to the pool. We really didn’t see much of the area, we tended to spend our time in the ocean or in the pool due to my hubby’s limited mobility and the heat and humidity. We will be back.

Glad you hear you had a good trip, especially since Aventuras was not your destination of choice.

I've been going to Akumal for about 5 yrs and the diving is pretty nice. Very relaxed pace, little current, decent marine life and fairly lush and healthy reef considering it's not a marine park. Most divers overlook the area because Cozumel is so close and offers much more spectacular sites. (We go to Cozumel as well and really love it too.) The shop we use in Akumal is very laid back and we usually are able to dive our computers and air. Tend to run out of reef before air... I do like that they do 3 dives/day as single tanks. You don't spend much time on the boat and if the conditions weren't so great or you just feel dived out that day you aren't committed and stuck on a boat for the duration.

If you do get back, book a couple cenote dives with Dennis from Diablo Divers. The area is a world class cavern/caves diver destination. And hopefully you'll be able to get out and see some of the area. There are some good ruin sites and nice beaches and restaurants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom