Dive / Trip Insurance - Have You Read Your Policy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cert1967

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
If you need insurance do you understand the contractual benefits of your policies?

Have you read your policies? Any surprises when you did so?

DAN's 'dive' insurance policy and pricing for Colorado are attached. Your state is likely similar.

Not a diving accident? Not included with the Colorado Master coverage. How about your state?

Are you counting on DAN's insurance partner to upfront your coverage? What if they don't pay upfront?

Cozumel? High dive accident numbers, no problem with DAN's diver coverage?

In more remote areas, has anyone had to upfront the cost of chamber rides or significant other medical costs?

DAN Colo Dive Plan Cost Coverage.png

Attachments

• DAN-NUFIC-Guardian-Handbook-CO.pdf
    211.5 KB · Views: 125
You should specify travel interruption/cancellation insurance versus travel medical/health insurance. I get one or the other or both depending on the specific trip planned, and I am prepared and have the means to pay up front and collect my claims afterwards if necessary. But I am a conservative person with many people depending on me being functional for their well being. Were I young, poor, and without dependents or other significant responsibilities I might make a different choice.

Interesting topic.

I think there are three different policies that need to be considered. First dive accident insurance. DAN is the gold standard on this one, been a member for 15 years. Would not dive without it. Travel medical is next - particularly if you are traveling to the USA where a six figure medical bill is just a good start. We travel to the USA regularly and make sure our insurance is current every trip. The insurer has to pre approve everything but emergency care. Getting more and more expensive every year as we get closer to the magical 70 where insurance companies no longer want to take the bet. The final policy is trip insurance for trip interruption, lost luggage etc. Have never bought it. Self insure as it is way too expensive for the amount of $ you might lose IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom