Dive trip for milestone birthday gift - where would you take your favorite OWSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drydock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My partner is an OWSI and commercial diver with 20 years experience. Milestone birthday is in late January and I would love to treat them to an epic dive trip. However, I don't dive at all so have no idea what to look for outside of the general guidance. Hoping to get some first-hand recommendations.

They've travelled multiple times to Mexico, Bonaire, Honduras, Thailand, Australia, so looking for somewhere new. Could be as far flung as Palau. Not into muck diving (too much zero viz diving for work); absolutely loves to see healthy reef esp. hard corals; enjoys wreck and other more technical diving but it's not a must-have - challenge is nice but it's more about features and creatures. They're turning 40 and in good shape, if there's an age/fitness consideration.

We'd be travelling from the PNW in late January, budgeting around $10k for 2 weeks (not including airfare), but I'd be willing to push that up for an exceptional experience like a liveaboard. We certainly don't need 5-star luxury, but a comfy place to sleep and some off-the-beaten path adventures are key.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Fiji is an easy trip for you,daily nonstop from SFO, 10.5 hours. Plenty of really good hard and soft coral, gobs of reef fish, good macro, and occasional sharks, etc., plus Beqa Lagoon, a very sharky area (due to fish remains, I think). The reigning, if not only, liveaboard, NAI’A, is excellent, and might be within your budget stretch.

Fiji is an easy trip for you,daily nonstop from SFO, 10.5 hours. Plenty of really good hard and soft coral, gobs of reef fish, good macro, and occasional sharks, etc., plus Beqa Lagoon, a very sharky area (due to fish remains, I think). The reigning, if not only, liveaboard, NAI’A, is excellent, and might be within your budget stretch.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'd not considered Fiji as I understand Jan/Feb land in cyclone season for that part of the world (had heard the same for French Polynesia). What do you think of the diving conditions & visibility at that time of year?

Apologies—I missed your time frame. Probably not the right time To go there.

Indonesia or Philippines

Indonesia or Philippines
I've been looking at Indo, particularly Komodo or Raja Ampat. Any advice as to the difference between the two in terms of diving quality?

I haven't read much about the Philippines except for Tubataha, which looks like it is closed to diving in January. What are some other notable dive areas there that would be suitable for a v. experienced diver?

Considering your partner's extensive diving history, have you thought about Raja Ampat in Indonesia? It's a paradise for healthy reefs and vibrant hard corals. The underwater scenery is breathtaking, and there's a good mix of challenging dives without the muck. Plus, it's a bit off the beaten path, offering a unique adventure. With your budget, you could even explore a liveaboard experience for that extra touch. Safe travels and happy diving! By the way, any thoughts on groom's suits for the upcoming celebration?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom