Dive Travel in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alter718

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm looking to do a weeklong dive trip in Feb (16-23) and am pretty restricted to those dates (teacher vacation). I'm a new diver, I did my AOW in Curacao and want to get in loads of safe but interesting diving. Possible destinations include:
- Roatan
- Key Largo
- Curacao
- Tobago
I'm sure there are other places people would recommend for that time period, so please do. These choices come from reasonable airfare, lodging, etc.

Curacao, which I loved, is probably out as it's almost impossible without shore diving to get in more than 2 dives a day. And I'm traveling solo.

Roatan looks incredible but it's the tail-end of the rainy season. A dive op down there assured me that runoff wasn't too bad so viz should be ok and that if northern winds were an issue they would do dives off the southern side.

Key Largo - some driving each way every day to stay off the keys. Hotels are $250/night and up on the keys.

Tobago - ??? lots of drift diving, which is totally new to me.

So, any thoughts on these or other destinations? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi all,

I'm looking to do a weeklong dive trip in Feb (16-23) and am pretty restricted to those dates (teacher vacation). I'm a new diver, I did my AOW in Curacao and want to get in loads of safe but interesting diving. Possible destinations include:
- Roatan
- Key Largo
- Curacao
- Tobago
I'm sure there are other places people would recommend for that time period, so please do. These choices come from reasonable airfare, lodging, etc.

Curacao, which I loved, is probably out as it's almost impossible without shore diving to get in more than 2 dives a day. And I'm traveling solo.

Roatan looks incredible but it's the tail-end of the rainy season. A dive op down there assured me that runoff wasn't too bad so viz should be ok and that if northern winds were an issue they would do dives off the southern side.

Key Largo - some driving each way every day to stay off the keys. Hotels are $250/night and up on the keys.

Tobago - ??? lots of drift diving, which is totally new to me.

So, any thoughts on these or other destinations? Thanks for any help you can provide.
I would consider Cozumel or even Bonaire. Most people think of Bonaire as only a shore dive destination, but there is also great boat diving and it is some of the least expensive boat diving in the Caribbean. You could still get a shore dive package, because you will likely meet people while boat diving and then be able to make plans to shore dive together. Particularly if you stay at one of the dive resorts like Buddy Dive, Captain Don's Habitat or even Den Laman Condominiums (my favorite).

How about Cozumel? Inexpensive food and lodging. You might be able to get 4 dives in with a shop like Tres Pelicanos. They do morning and afternoon trips but you need to book in advance for afternoon trips so inquire with them how that works. There are so many shops on Cozumel you’ll likely be able to get more than 2 dives per day if that’s what you desire.

You can buddy with the DM or hire your own private DM. Also drift diving. You should try it.

How about Cozumel? Inexpensive food and lodging. You might be able to get 4 dives in with a shop like Tres Pelicanos. They do morning and afternoon trips but you need to book in advance for afternoon trips so inquire with them how that works. There are so many shops on Cozumel you’ll likely be able to get more than 2 dives per day if that’s what you desire.

You can buddy with the DM or hire your own private DM. Also drift diving. You should try it.

I'd considered Cozumel. How crowded does the diving get? As in, do you show up at a reef and there are 20-30 people there already, etc.?

I would consider Cozumel or even Bonaire. Most people think of Bonaire as only a shore dive destination, but there is also great boat diving and it is some of the least expensive boat diving in the Caribbean. You could still get a shore dive package, because you will likely meet people while boat diving and then be able to make plans to shore dive together. Particularly if you stay at one of the dive resorts like Buddy Dive, Captain Don's Habitat or even Den Laman Condominiums (my favorite).

Did my discover scuba dive at Buddy Dive. In a day of perfect kiteboarding, being visited by a pod of dolphins, and a beach massage, that dive was the best part of the day. Hooked me to learn the following summer in Curacao. It's a little pricey that time of year but I guess Bonaire is still in contention.

I'd considered Cozumel. How crowded does the diving get? As in, do you show up at a reef and there are 20-30 people there already, etc.?

While others can definitely answer your question regarding morning dives, I’m unable to because I’m mainly an afternoon diver. And there is no one else on the reef but people from my boat, which is 3 or 4 other people maybe. We also hire a private DM in Cozumel so we rarely bump into anyone else on the reefs. Come to think of it, we’re rather spoiled.

The only time I did get “frightened” by other divers was during a night dive at Paradise Reef. Divers everywhere! I didn’t like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom