Dive tour for practicing photography in Honolulu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disal

Registered
Reaction score
I’m in HNL for a month. I’m trying to practice UW WA and macro photography with a new full frame nauticam rig. I have gone on 2 dive tours with Dive Oahu and Reef Pirates. I barely have any time UW to take photos since the DM kept the group moving at all time. None of the shop has any dive trip specifically for UW photography except the private charter that is too expensive.

Someone suggested trying shore diving and stay in 1 spot to take photos. I’m going solo. How and where do I do shore dive? I have full gear just need tank and weight. What do you guys suggest?

Thank you.

I don't have any Oahu-specific advice, but I agree that going solo and staying in one spot for quite a while will help your photography. i have often done such dives in Maui and the Big Island (as well as California). Find a spot with easy entry/exit, where you can hover for a long time, so preferably rather shallow. If you stay in one place, with a minimum of movement, you'll find that you'll start seeing a lot more life and subjects than you saw at first. Not only will more fish come "into frame," but you will start noticing cryptic species. Also, you will have the opportunity to "exercise your eye" and try to see things from a new perspective.

Playing "follow the leader" on DM-led boat dives interferes with all of this and only really allows for "point and shoot."

Good luck. You're on the right track.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom