Dive theory PADI IDC/IE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am currently going through the new PADI IDC. I do consider myself a good diver but I do find myself struggling a bit during the workbook and practice exams. They're are things I do not re call learning or practicing or maybe I just simply forgot.
My CD and instructors are going to help teach us a bit of this stuff but I would like to make sure I'm ahead and knowledgable for any exams.
I did see PADI offers Dive Theory eLearning. It would have been nice if it was included in my course but it's an extra 160+tax.

Any suggestions? Thanks

First, bravo for looking into your weak areas and trying to make them stronger before any lecture given by your CD. You will get more out of the time this way.

Depending on who you did your Divemaster with, most of the information you are looking for should have been covered in the books and lectures. I understand the DM test is not as in depth but the material should be the same. Next, you can read the PADI The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving for more information on your troubled areas. There is a IDC website that you can get some information for free and more if you pay. Finally, you can Google what you need explained and there are a lot of great blogs and sites that will explain in great detail what you need to learn (as always, be careful relying only on the web for accurate info).

The two ares most people struggle on during the "old" IDC exams are Physics and Physiology. I have never done an IDC under the "new" program so this may change depending on how the online course is structured.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

what specific questions do you have

First, bravo for looking into your weak areas and trying to make them stronger before any lecture given by your CD. You will get more out of the time this way.

Depending on who you did your Divemaster with, most of the information you are looking for should have been covered in the books and lectures. I understand the DM test is not as in depth but the material should be the same. Next, you can read the PADI The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving for more information on your troubled areas. There is a IDC website that you can get some information for free and more if you pay. Finally, you can Google what you need explained and there are a lot of great blogs and sites that will explain in great detail what you need to learn (as always, be careful relying only on the web for accurate info).

The two ares most people struggle on during the "old" IDC exams are Physics and Physiology. I have never done an IDC under the "new" program so this may change depending on how the online course is structured.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

I did do the new Divemaster eLearning last year and now the new eLearning for IDC. When I got to the workbook section it got me nervous. I think maybe DM now has less in depth theory and it was pushed maybe to the instructor?! Anyways..

What IDC website are you mentioning? Il go take a look.

Yup those are 2 harder subjects,

Thanks for the help!

I liked taking the exams at Scuba Exams before my IDC to brush up on some info.
Scuba Exams

Thanks I will have a look, did the questions represent those of IE? Are there explanations to the answes?

Well its all knowledge and you certainly will find questions like this on the IDC exams. I don't think they cover much in terms of dive planning or gas use -- If I remember right.

I did do the new Divemaster eLearning last year and now the new eLearning for IDC. When I got to the workbook section it got me nervous. I think maybe DM now has less in depth theory and it was pushed maybe to the instructor?! Anyways..

What IDC website are you mentioning? Il go take a look.

Yup those are 2 harder subjects,

Thanks for the help!

The IDC web-page I am referring to is: https://www.idc-guide.com I am NOT endorsing it nor have I ever used it nor has any of my candidates ever used it. If you decide to use it, then please give us a thorough review.

When you take the online Scuba Exams and come across a question you don't understand, then bring that to an instructor that you trust and is willing to explain it to you. All of the instructor that I know are more then willing to take time to mentor and explain things, that is the reason why we got into instructing...it's fun. A beer and/or a pizza doesn't hurt to get more time and explanation :).

If that doesn't work then see if there is an instructor that is willing to do Skype / FaceTime session to talk you through it. I find that much easier then trying to post online or email back and forth. I would be wiling but I believe our time difference would make it an extreme nightmare to coordinate.

The IDC web-page I am referring to is: https://www.idc-guide.com I am NOT endorsing it nor have I ever used it nor has any of my candidates ever used it. If you decide to use it, then please give us a thorough review.

When you take the online Scuba Exams and come across a question you don't understand, then bring that to an instructor that you trust and is willing to explain it to you. All of the instructor that I know are more then willing to take time to mentor and explain things, that is the reason why we got into instructing...it's fun. A beer and/or a pizza doesn't hurt to get more time and explanation :).

If that doesn't work then see if there is an instructor that is willing to do Skype / FaceTime session to talk you through it. I find that much easier then trying to post online or email back and forth. I would be wiling but I believe our time difference would make it an extreme nightmare to coordinate.

Awesome thanks for the help, I will take a look at the website and then give my feedback. My instructors are accessible people but are a bit of a fare drive if I'm not going to class or diving. This is more for the independent study portion and getting me prepared before next class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom