Dive the Gulf Stream on the Sunshine Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of planning a trip to dive the Gulf Stream off Dinner Rock, so I need information. Has anyone dived there lately? At its location are tides and currents a big issue? Or have any important information regarding the wreak and its condition, all I have is the UASBC book for the sunshine coast

Thanks

I would get a hold of Bill at Pacific Pro Dive in Courtenay...he is over there as much as anyone.
Good Luck,
O

I am thinking of planning a trip to dive the Gulf Stream off Dinner Rock, so I need information. Has anyone dived there lately? At its location are tides and currents a big issue? Or have any important information regarding the wreak and its condition, all I have is the UASBC book for the sunshine coast

Thanks
The only issue I have ever had with current was swimming back to the boat from Dinner Rock. The boat was tied to the float and we ascended on dinner rock. At the surface there was a fair current that made for a hard swim. The current was not noticable on the wreck. It is a great dive, have fun.

Thanks wedivebc and underwater Orge, for some reason I had belived that this could be a shore dive, is this possable or would it be to much?

Thanks

The Gulfstream is definitely not a shore dive. There is a mooring buoy attached to the stern, depth is about 125' (depending on the tide). She lays on her port side on a slope with the bow being the deep end at around 165' The superstructure has collapsed and makes a bit of a debris field on the bottom, but the steel hull is intact and is home to a bunch of ling cod and a couple of red snappers. The vis the last couple of weeks there has been great. When the sun is out you can see the surface and the bottom of the boat from 130'. Great dive.

Scott

if anyone is interested in doing the gulfstream or even the Capilano there is now a charter operator in that area so you don't have to come over from Courtney anymore an is about a 15min boat ride from port. If you want more info pm. me

Gulf Stream is a pretty awesome dive, but I've only done it once and the vis was good, but sunlight wasnt getting through the algae bloom near the surface

would love to do it again before this summer

Hey eliminator if you are interested in doing the Gulfstream PM me and I can arrange it for you here. I am only about a 15 min boat ride from the site. I am also a charter opoerator in the area.

vis here right now is pretty good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom