dive/surf camera for under $500 (including housing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinnyhb

New
Reaction score
alright, ive got it pretty much narrowed down the the olympus sp-350 for purposes of recreational diving photography and also some recreational surf photography. any other recommendations? or am i going to get into trouble using that olympus housing in the waves?

I haven't had any problems doing surf entries, but most housings can leak if they get rolled around are smacked into the water. Sudden changes of pressure can move the o-ring. Might think about the Ikelite housing as they are very thick and sturdy, although, again I haven't had any problems with the Oly housing. I don't roll off my boat with it though, which would be somewhat like getting bashed in the surf.

By "recreational surf photography" are you referring to "surfing action photography" ? As an avid action sport participant, I can tell you that one of the biggest frustrations that I have experienced with point & shoot cameras is the shutter lag. As you very well may know, the exact timing of a good action sport shot is crucial. A fraction of second either way can make or break an otherwise perfectly executed once in a life time maneuver. Make sure you investigate this aspect in further detail in order to save yourself future aggravation. I'd personally be very interested in how you make out.

Good luck, bro !

riguerin:
By "recreational surf photography" are you referring to "surfing action photography" ? As an avid action sport participant, I can tell you that one of the biggest frustrations that I have experienced with point & shoot cameras is the shutter lag. As you very well may know, the exact timing of a good action sport shot is crucial. A fraction of second either way can make or break an otherwise perfectly executed once in a life time maneuver. Make sure you investigate this aspect in further detail in order to save yourself future aggravation. I'd personally be very interested in how you make out.

Good luck, bro !

It's funny that you mention this rig, I actually have a photography magazine
(Digital Camera world, Christmas '05, UK mag) here that has a little feature with a guy who does surf photography as a living.

As you alluded to shutter lag is a huge problem for this sort of photography and the surf photographer featured here shoots with a Canon 1DMkII (DSLR) in an Aquatech housing..

They're some samples of his work at www.aquabumps.com

Hey before I even thought about diving I bought a Canon A520 for taking pics in the surf (been surfing for 14 years). Shutter lag will kill you! My new G6 has a mode like a hypershot or something-- about 1.6 shots per second-- look for that function... Because with a P&S you must find the focus point before the surfer is there and take the pic right before they are there! Even with multiple pics per second yu have to really anticipate the surfer and the wave.

I would definitely get/use a camera with a video mode!!!!

Back
Top Bottom