Dive spots in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThomasVJ

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going on a 5 day vecation to Bali the 23th of May and Iwas hoping to get some good tips for dive sites there so I don't have to spend time looking around. I'm also going with a "none-diver" so I will only spend a day (or two) diving..

I'm flexible when it comes to distances (Bali isen't that big anyway) and travling a few hours.

Heard that Lombok (not sure of the spelling) is a great place?

Thanks in advance.
Thomas

The diving in bali is excellent. you really should get the book "diving bali". There are 5 main diving areas, each with multiple sites:

Menjangan / Secret Bay (dove out of lovina or pemuteran)
Tulamben
Amed
Padang Bai Area (tepekong, minpang, blue lagoon)
Nusa Penida (best dove out of padang bai)

have fun! I haven't been to lombok, there is some additional travel time getting to lombok, then getting to the dive spots there. better off staying in bali.

scott

Hi there Thomas -

I've heard Tulamben and Amed up in the north have some of the best diving in bali and will heading up that way myself in early june. Check out scuba seraya for a resort/dive operation up there that sounds good for a non-diver.

Doing a serch for bali, tulamben, etc on this board will bring up several other threads on the subject.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Do the liberty wreck off the beach in Tulamben. It's literally a stone throw from the shore line and can be snorkelled too (for the non-diver). It's a cool wreck - very colourful set against the black volcanic rock. I did Padangbai too - nice little village with cool diving (Gecko Dive), saw a Wobbegong there.

I will be at SS in August!

Tassie_Rohan:
Hi there Thomas -

I've heard Tulamben and Amed up in the north have some of the best diving in bali and will heading up that way myself in early june. Check out scuba seraya for a resort/dive operation up there that sounds good for a non-diver.

Doing a serch for bali, tulamben, etc on this board will bring up several other threads on the subject.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Bali is often underrated, maybe by people who assume that a place with such a big tourist industry can't have good diving too. But Bali is a large island, and the main tourist resorts are all in the SE corner. Get away from there and you find incredible variety, everything from mola mola to seahorses.

Some of the top spots:

Nusa Penida

Liberty Wreck

Menjangan Island

More.....

Enjoy Bali!

Last year in April we made a trip around Bali coast for diving. Here is my impression.

Candidasa: great dives, but can be tricky because of current.
Amed: not impressed, maybe because of the operator.
Tulamben: a Must. The wreck is great, but check also the other dive sites. They are worth it.
Menjangan: remote and quiet. Easy and nice dives.
Nusa Penida: great spots, but here also can become very tricky because of the current.

I see you have 16-50 dives, and not so much time. If I may give an advice, go for Tulamben as a first choice, and then Menjangan (the non diver can spend a nice day if you can afford Mimpi resort).
If you are looking for potentially more sport, Nusa Penida and Candidasa (more remote).

I would not go to Lombok. There is more than enough for you to do in Bali. If you would have a couple of weeks, then.....

It's one man's opinion, based on a short stay in each place. No surprise if some disagree.

Wish you good fun.

Back
Top Bottom