Dive/snorkel group - T&C or one of the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LStewart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're planning a trip for a mixed group of divers and snorkelers. Which would be the better option - Turks and Caicos, Grand Caymen, Little Caymen, or Caymen Brac?

Thanks!

Is the idea to do diving & snorkeling at more or less the same place/time? Like going to a beach together, or on the same boat? Or for people to go do their own thing?

How big is your group, is this a situation where you might be able to get your own boat?

What time of year?

Are you limiting yourself to only those destinations?

I can't speak to the suitability of the Sister Islands but can give some input on the 1st two.

Turkgs & Caicos (Provo) has good snorkeling but all the diving is boat based. The better diving is a longer boat ride otu to West Caicos or French Cay and you're gone most of the day. They also local dive farther out around Grace Bay and NW Point. I have not seen it but have heard that some areas off Grace Bay Beach are good deep snorkels.

There could be some snorkeling options on a dual boat trip off West Caicos as some of the moorings are close to shore - snorkelers could swim in, divers out to the wall.Probably a pricey snorkel trip though.

Grand Cayman is good for both. The Kittiwake wreck was placed for both divers/snorkelers to enjoy. Stingray City (the dive) is 14' deep so there were snorkelers on our dive trip. Also the Sandbar snorkel nearby is done by dozens of operators.

Turtle Reef is good for both, the mini-wall there starts shallow. Usually see turtles there. Lighthouse Point is about 5-6 deep off their dock, there's an old anchor embedded in shallow water there. I believe Cobalt Coast would be good for both also, the snorkelers could stay shallow around the resort and the divers go out to the North Wall then swim back in. Reef Divers might even tow you out there, the previous operator did.

Cemetery Beach is a good snorkel, marginal shallow dive.

Eden Rock is so/so for both. At certain tides in one area I had to be careful not to scrape the reef on the surface. The dive there suffers from decades of cruise divers - the port is 50yds. away plus it's been damaged twice in the past few years - once by a cruise ship anchor and once a container ship scraped a section and collapsed one of the swim-thru's. There's always talk of building a fixed cruise dock right there as well so dredging could make that worse. Plus renderings I've seen show some of it under the dock when completed.

Sunset House promotes both, you don't have to be a guest to use their Salt Water Pool which fronts onto acres of shallow reef. The photo op for divers is the Mermaid - she's in 55' feet.Cathy Church has a photo store/gallery there and My Bar is a good outside bar. Pleasant way to spend an afternoon - just no beach.

Smith's Cove a few minutes farther south is both a snorkel and decent shallow dive. Locals beach but no facilities. To dive it rent tanks at Eden Rock - Sunset House won't let you remove theirs.

Oddly about the only place snorkeling is not good is along Seven Mile Beach in front of all the resorts - it's too flat and sandy. Nice white sand beach though - wider to the north.

The Westin has a man-made snorkel trail for guests. Google Testudo's Snorkel Guide for more Grand Cayman spots.

Nice thing about boat diving on GC is the operators all pickup along SMB freeing the rental car for the others use. Two boat dives off West Bay or the North Wall and you'll be back by lunch.

Both islands are extremely scenic and pleasant, low crime and among the most expensive places we've been. Grace Bay Beach is one of the top in the Carib and Seven Mile Beach is nice also. Close to Georgetown it gets a little narrow so select a property a couple miles north instead. Georgetown is a zoo when the cruise ships dock - there can be 4-5 large ones on the same day. Provo is a lot smaller/quieter but the upscale resorts on the beach drive better restaurants than you would expect they could support. The least expensive way to do either is shared condos.

I went snorkeling on a boat from Provo (T&C) in November. Perhaps because they said it was too rough to go out on the windward side, the snorkeling was really sad -- very little sea life. I entertained myself by practicing finning and relaxing in the water.

Is the idea to do diving & snorkeling at more or less the same place/time? Like going to a beach together, or on the same boat? Or for people to go do their own thing?

How big is your group, is this a situation where you might be able to get your own boat?

What time of year?

Are you limiting yourself to only those destinations?

D/S sometimes in the same place, sometimes not necessarily. Some would like to bird watch as well.

Group is 4 right now, maybe add some divers

Maybe go in May.

Pretty much limiting ourselves to those areas since none of us have been there.

I can't speak to the suitability of the Sister Islands but can give some input on the 1st two.

Turkgs & Caicos (Provo) has good snorkeling but all the diving is boat based. The better diving is a longer boat ride otu to West Caicos or French Cay and you're gone most of the day. They also local dive farther out around Grace Bay and NW Point. I have not seen it but have heard that some areas off Grace Bay Beach are good deep snorkels.

There could be some snorkeling options on a dual boat trip off West Caicos as some of the moorings are close to shore - snorkelers could swim in, divers out to the wall.Probably a pricey snorkel trip though.

Grand Cayman is good for both. The Kittiwake wreck was placed for both divers/snorkelers to enjoy. Stingray City (the dive) is 14' deep so there were snorkelers on our dive trip. Also the Sandbar snorkel nearby is done by dozens of operators.

Turtle Reef is good for both, the mini-wall there starts shallow. Usually see turtles there. Lighthouse Point is about 5-6 deep off their dock, there's an old anchor embedded in shallow water there. I believe Cobalt Coast would be good for both also, the snorkelers could stay shallow around the resort and the divers go out to the North Wall then swim back in. Reef Divers might even tow you out there, the previous operator did.

Cemetery Beach is a good snorkel, marginal shallow dive.

Eden Rock is so/so for both. At certain tides in one area I had to be careful not to scrape the reef on the surface. The dive there suffers from decades of cruise divers - the port is 50yds. away plus it's been damaged twice in the past few years - once by a cruise ship anchor and once a container ship scraped a section and collapsed one of the swim-thru's. There's always talk of building a fixed cruise dock right there as well so dredging could make that worse. Plus renderings I've seen show some of it under the dock when completed.

Sunset House promotes both, you don't have to be a guest to use their Salt Water Pool which fronts onto acres of shallow reef. The photo op for divers is the Mermaid - she's in 55' feet.Cathy Church has a photo store/gallery there and My Bar is a good outside bar. Pleasant way to spend an afternoon - just no beach.

Smith's Cove a few minutes farther south is both a snorkel and decent shallow dive. Locals beach but no facilities. To dive it rent tanks at Eden Rock - Sunset House won't let you remove theirs.

Oddly about the only place snorkeling is not good is along Seven Mile Beach in front of all the resorts - it's too flat and sandy. Nice white sand beach though - wider to the north.

The Westin has a man-made snorkel trail for guests. Google Testudo's Snorkel Guide for more Grand Cayman spots.

Nice thing about boat diving on GC is the operators all pickup along SMB freeing the rental car for the others use. Two boat dives off West Bay or the North Wall and you'll be back by lunch.

Both islands are extremely scenic and pleasant, low crime and among the most expensive places we've been. Grace Bay Beach is one of the top in the Carib and Seven Mile Beach is nice also. Close to Georgetown it gets a little narrow so select a property a couple miles north instead. Georgetown is a zoo when the cruise ships dock - there can be 4-5 large ones on the same day. Provo is a lot smaller/quieter but the upscale resorts on the beach drive better restaurants than you would expect they could support. The least expensive way to do either is shared condos.

Wow, DiverSteve, Thanks for the great info! We've got some studying to do. Looks like GC is a better option than T&C. What other options does everyone suggest other than these or, Belize, Roatan, or Bonaire?

I love T & C, so this is biased, but I think there is good snorkeling on Grace Bay Beach if you don't mind walking.

I was in the water every day around Coral Garden and Smith Reef, and was never bored. turtles, rays, barracuda, tons of fish and some decent coral, but Coral Garden is a little abused by the amount of action it sees. There is a roped off area where families and novices can feel safe from boats. Smith Reef was much quieter and had healthy corals and lots of turtles. It was a 20-30 minute walk up the beach from where we stayed.

Beaches Resort (run by Sandals) has all inclusive option with both diving and snorkeling boats going out daily. We did not stay there, but it looked to be a well run PADI operation. They also have catamarans, water park, tons of restaurants, etc.

Check out Beach House, AWESOME "boutique" all inclusive resort, excellent food and atmosphere and close to the good snorkeling!

Good luck!

If you can, look at Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan. GREAT for mix of scuba and snorkelers. Great reefs right up to shore.. Look for direct flights there, usually Sat-Sat options. It is an all-inclusive too. Great website with videos. Don't look at the website unless you want to go there..no kidding. Roatan Resort – Honduras' Best All-Inclusive | Anthony’s Key Resort

Bonaire is great but it is expensive to get there and food is very expensive.

Belize, stay on Ambergris Caye. Diving probably better than snorkeling without longer boat rides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom