Dive skins or half mil wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a little 1.5mm from liquid fit that i I just adore. A dive skin just does not give you that much protection, plus they wear out too quickly.

I used to use lycra skins but now I use .5 or 1mm neoprene, warmer and more protection.

..........gave me some good advice earlier in my diving history. He told me to use both. When I hesitated, he reminded me how cheap they both are and how cheap I was being. So I knuckled down to peer preasure and bought both. It turned out to be great advice.

I use the skin on every dive in warm or cold water. Sometimes as my primary exposure protection, other times as a liner. You can't believe how much easier that 7mm wetsuit goes on and off over the skin.

In repetetive diving over several days even in water over 80 degrees or night diving a 1mm over a skin feels pretty darn good.

There are numourus skins for sell on line for less than $50 on line. Hendersen's 1mm Microprene (very nice) can be had for under $80.

Give them both a try, I think you will be glad you did.

Sue

Sue-ba Lips:
..........gave me some good advice earlier in my diving history. He told me to use both. When I hesitated, he reminded me how cheap they both are and how cheap I was being. So I knuckled down to peer preasure and bought both. It turned out to be great advice.

I use the skin on every dive in warm or cold water. Sometimes as my primary exposure protection, other times as a liner. You can't believe how much easier that 7mm wetsuit goes on and off over the skin.

In repetetive diving over several days even in water over 80 degrees or night diving a 1mm over a skin feels pretty darn good.

There are numourus skins for sell on line for less than $50 on line. Hendersen's 1mm Microprene (very nice) can be had for under $80.

Sue

I was going to say the same thing. A skin is great for getting your suit on. I just bought a new one, Evo, online from Divers Direct for $50.

Sue-ba Lips:

Sue

Wow, my dive shop wants $260 for Diveskins. Why such the dif in price?

Dan

depends i usually dive 3 mil but just the other dive i dove in dive skins at 430pm, was shiverring the whole time i felt like i was going to get hypothermia. not good

Back
Top Bottom