Dive skin help tight wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlyStrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I should've checked out more wetsuits instead of buying an Aqualung AquaFlex.
After wearing a few times its too tight across the shoulders and the forearms are super tight.
Will a skin make it feel looser?
Water inside does make it feel better.

Will a skin make it feel looser?
No, but a skin will make it MUCH easier to don and doff that tight wetsuit. The difference is even more pronounced when you are wet. Wearing a skin under my wetsuits made the wetsuits immeasurably better for me. Mostly because I wasn't out of breath with sore fingers after spending 20 minutes squeezing into my wetsuit. It slides on like buttah. On warm dives, you can wear just the skin, for protection against jellies and other smaller stinging stuff. Also, they protect you from the sun without risking bringing suntan lotion down to the reef. Skin + hat and you're all set for sun protection. That's what I'm wearing in the photo on the left.

Don't spend more than $50 on a skin. I've seen some crazy prices, but the inexpensive models are exactly the same as expensive save the logo on the tag. $45 on amazon but my lds sells the exact same ones for $30. https://smile.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wetsuits-Sports-Skins-Black/dp/B003554EVS/ref=sr_1_10

Unfortunately, a good fitting wetsuit will feel quite tight. If it's loose, it won't really do the job.

One more thing, you'll notice my skin is quite loose in that photo. Works just fine under a tight wetsuit - no need to get a tight skin like you do the wetsuit. I think my skin is 1-2 sizes larger than I need. As long as the wrists, neck, and ankles aren't floppy you're good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom