Dive Sites in Bicol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

natal_nihilist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have friend coming to the Philippines later this year and wants to climb Mt. Mayon. I was trying to see if we could do some diving while we're out in Bicol as well. Preliminary research says Donsol is the place to go, but the Manta Bowl is only for advanced divers apparently and it's been a few years since he last dived. The way I see our options are as follows:
  1. Five days in Bicol. Go to Donsol, easy dives day 1, Manta Bowl day 2. Day 3 transit to Mayon / gas off / organise guides etc. Day 4/5 hiking.
  2. As above but go elsewhere in Bicol (where?)
  3. Three days in Bicol. Keep the Bicol trip to mountaineering and go diving somewhere else the following weekend (close to Manila like Anilao or PG)
I think that option 3 may be the best since we'll have two max three weekends available and need to be in Manila during the week. We also get to see more of the country that way? All suggestions welcome.

If you are shooting for option 3, consider Subic Bay. Great wreck diving, but plenty of sea life and good macro. It is an easy 2.5 - 3 hours from Manila by car and mostly tollway. Public transportation is easy and cheap. Lot's of hotel options, nightlife, resto's, stress free and the diving is great.

Bear in mind on your trip, that later in the year is a bit better (late October on) to try and avoid monsoon and typhoon season which will just be kind of ending...we hope..as it sometimes lasts a tad longer.

Mangos_Dive_Center_Subic_Bay_Philippines_Shipwrecks 2.jpg

If you are shooting for option 3, consider Subic Bay. Great wreck diving, but plenty of sea life and good macro. It is an easy 2.5 - 3 hours from Manila by car and mostly tollway. Public transportation is easy and cheap. Lot's of hotel options, nightlife, resto's, stress free and the diving is great.

Bear in mind on your trip, that later in the year is a bit better (late October on) to try and avoid monsoon and typhoon season which will just be kind of ending...we hope..as it sometimes lasts a tad longer.

View attachment 725499

Okay great thanks, unfortunately the dates are pretty fixed due to work commitments so we're going to roll the dice with the weather. Subic is on my list for sure.

Okay great thanks, unfortunately the dates are pretty fixed due to work commitments so we're going to roll the dice with the weather. Subic is on my list for sure.
Don't know if you'd been to Bicol yet. I am from the area. Aside from Ticao, there is a little island called Catanduanes. You can fly there direct from Manila (landing at Virac and taking bus to Calolbon). If ferry boats don't bother you, it may be more convenient, as the ferry stops at Calolbon (if I am not mistaken). The ferry shuttles between the Tabaco pier and Catanduanes. I believe it operates daily between the 2 islands. Here is link to my report of my 4 dives there a few years back: Catanduanes Island

You may want to contact Dave first to make inquiry and arrangements. I heard that the dive banca was destroyed in the last hurricane. Don't know if it's been replaced or rebuild. Don't expect much but it's nice easy diving and a convenient trip if going to Mt. Mayon. Hope this helps.

(2) : Ticao
There is limited information about the island online and very few dive reports so i'm having a tough time weighing up going or not during my trip to the philippines. Have you been yourself or just heard good things about it? And do you have any idea what the ideal month to visit would be?

There is limited information about the island online and very few dive reports so i'm having a tough time weighing up going or not during my trip to the philippines. Have you been yourself or just heard good things about it? And do you have any idea what the ideal month to visit would be?
Never went.
1. OP was asking Bicol and Ticao is the only place that I know offering scuba diving. Yes, you are right that there is not much info about the place.
2. Couple of my diving buddies went to Donsol to snorkel with the whaleshark and they did not bother to pack their diving gear(for the same reason as lack of info).
3. Best time is Jan to Apr when the chance of typhoon is very remote.
4. Getting there is NOT that straight forward as there are better options available.
5. By all means, visit the place and do come back with a trip report. Enjoy and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom