dive sites for newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newdiverAZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm new to these forums and would like some info on some dive sites in So. Cal and Ft. Lauderdale Fla areas. Some dives for newbies would be nice, being my wife, nephew, and I are just getting ready to start are O/W class.

Thanx
Brian

If you're ever in Utah:
Homestead Crater near Midway, UT and Bonneville Seabase near Grantsville, UT are good places for new divers in winter and summer. Homestead is a hot spring, 96 degree water. All you need there is a bathing suit and you'll still be HOT! Bonneville Seabase is a salt water dive with lots of tropical fish including nurse sharks who like to be petted! It's fed by warm springs also but is in the 77 degree range which is nice for wetsuit training.

Just dove both sites this month and really enjoyed them, wish I could have brought them to Ohio so we could do winter check-out dives in them!

Ber :bunny:

The underwater park is frequently used for dive training - but you might want some local help for pointers on dealing with kelp. You can see the steps (they now have a railing) if you check the link on www.ladiver.com. In Sept - Oct, local waters are at their warmest, and hotel rates drop. You could get a package and make a weekend of it - I know Scuba Luv does that.

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
The underwater park is frequently used for dive training - but you might want some local help for pointers on dealing with kelp. You can see the steps (they now have a railing) if you check the link on www.ladiver.com. In Sept - Oct, local waters are at their warmest, and hotel rates drop. You could get a package and make a weekend of it - I know Scuba Luv does that.

Is that a relatively busy place on weekends? How many divers can you usually expect to see there. Looks like a kinda neat place for us newbies:) Thank You

but once you are underwater, it isn't too crowded. It does seem that after Labor Day, people assume that summer is over. Just avoid the areas where classes practice their skills - lower viz. I also prefer to dive this spot at high tide or at least not really low tide - entrance and exit are easier.

If you're going to be down San Diego way it would be worth it to check out La Jolla Cove. As long as the surf is mild, there's lots of Kelp and lots of wildlife to see. Its a great dive! Look me up if you come down. The boat's in the shop this week, but Im usually out diving most weekend either way.

Dive Safe,

Wes

Hey boatdiver, how old are you? I am 18 and have had my c-card for 3 years but only have logged around 10 dives and took a refresher course this summer. None of my friends are certified or are allowed to dive with another "teenager" so that has prohibited me from getting more dives in, not to mention that I didn't have my own equipment until now. Otherwise, I would be diving every day if I could.

If you don't mind the fact that I'm only 18 it would be great to have a dive buddy that has experience and lives in the same area as myself. Probably the best e-mail to reach me at is veonake@cox.net if you are interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom