Dive sites around Salt Lake City/Provo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blac86

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So besides the creator of boredom where do people dive in Utah? Is there cave diving in the mountain springs? Is Jordanelle divable? What about deer creek?

Around SLC you have Seabase, an hour from SLC. Salt water, tropical fish a one time place, much like the Crater.
Deer Creek is divable and depending on the day is OK for local. Most people dive off of Sailboat Beach.
Jordanelle, unless you have a boat to get to the old narrows is not worth the effort.
Blue Lake 2.5 from SLC is horse fly heaven during the summer. You need DEET and lots of it.
Bear Lake 2.5 from SLC.
Flaming Gorge 3.5-4.5 from SLC
Sand Hollow 5 hours.
Used to do evening runs to Pineview near Ogden for quick dips.
Strawberry is fun for Crawdads

Caves! We have some. A balmy 38 degrees. Ones not really divable at the moment the boil is about a foot. Anything more than an inch will spit you back out.
The other is about 3000' down to the sump. You like to climb?
A couple others, I wouldn't advise.

When you planning on being in our lovely state?

Link in my sig has information on most sites.

Mid August. I did my OW and a couple fun dives in the crater actually, with Dive Utah in Holladay.

I'll make a point to check out deer creek and seabase. I don't know if I'll have a chance to get to the more remote sites like sand hollow or flaming gorge.

Sad that there aren't many viable cave systems I was hoping that with the Wasatch being an active range there would be some nice ones.

We are always looking for more. I'm sure there is a very large system as dye trace has shown it. Problem is finding an entrance that is safe. One site is a siphon and since little diving goes on, the tunnel is covered in mud.
One more that could be promising is still a work in progress.
The main one we dive would probably be accessible in late August except for the heavy run off this year. It has a river intrusion so that's what makes it difficult to enter. It's week by week.

I'll keep an eye out to see if one is open while I'm there. I picked up the cave diving bug in florida and I'm just excited to try different caves all over the us.

Awesome video I'll be sure to let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom