Dive sites and other information for Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ran the scuba/watersports at that resort before it was a Sandals. It was called Eden II (which dates me). They had the same format, as it was all-inclusive, couples only, with diving included in the package.

We did a lot of the resort course dives in front of "James Bond Beach". It is the spot where Ursula Andres walks up the beach to meet Sean Connery in "Dr. No". It can be done as a deep dive also if you go closer to the opening in the reef and head away from shore.

A couple of the dives that I remember as standing out are "The Mountain" which is a coral head that jets up from the wall at 100 feet to get within 60 feet of the surface. Another is an old anchor that sticks out of the coral to make for a great photo op. The problem with the anchor was that it was not close to any other landmarks so easy to miss and if you missed the anchor it was a boring dive. We had a similar problem with the mountain. The wall up to it starts at around 100 feet, so if you missed the mountain you would be making a dive deeper than we liked to make. They probably have these spots better marked by now.

We did see occasional dolphins, larger rays, barracudas, and nurse sharks. Being on the north shore they are prone to the wind, but they have a nice barrier reef protecting the beach around the resort.

I still get to Jamaica regularly for work & play, and like the combination of all-inclusive resorts and easy diving.

Scuba One Travel - Runaway Bay Jamaica Underwater Photos

Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

Scuba One Travel, a SuperClubs SuperAgency, in SuperClubs Resort Brochure

this seems very positive...

what's the overall feeling about the diving in J?

i've heard mixed reports; anything more definitive? re hotels/ operators/ nightlife ...

muchas gracias...

I love scuba diving when I'm in Jamaica on vacation. The water is always warm and clear, the corals are nice, I usually see turtles, rays, nurse sharks, and plenty of small life. I don't see big fish nor large schools of fish. I think diving here is pretty good but some feel it is terrible due to over fishing.

As far as hotels and nightlife, Jamaica is great. There are many fine all-inclusive resorts, plenty of nice hotels, and plenty of local budget hotels. I really like Negril as the nightlife is very good and I love the long beach. Nightlife in Montego Bay is excellent.

However, I would not classify Jamaica as a diving destination but rather a vacation destination that also has good diving. Diving is not usually a main feature of resorts in Jamaica but rather just another activity. The diving is somewhat limited as the sites do not vary greatly. If you like wrecks, there are only a few small wreck sites. Overall, it's fun but nothing fantastic.

I am heading to the Breezes Runaway Bay in Jamaica in November and have been trying to get some information about the diving at the resort there. I have heard from a few people that were their recently the gear was not in pretty bad shape, even for rental gear, Can anyone confirm this? I would prefer not take my own gear.

If I do end up taking my own gear, how is the airport (flying in to Montego Bay) in terms of baggage handling, etc? any tips on getting my gear their and in one piece?

Also what is the water temp like around the end of Nov/Early Dec? Trying to figure out if i should get a 1mm skin or just take some rash guards.

Last edited:
Something I've wondered about with diving in Jamaica. Is it possible to hook up with local divers to do shore dives? I assume the locals can get fills, even if tourists can't. I have also wondered how they define a guided dive. Does an out-of-town divemaster need a guide? My problem is that I would like to do at least some diving down there, but just getting there is pretty much going to be the end of my budget...

My problem is that I would like to do at least some diving down there, but just getting there is pretty much going to be the end of my budget...

ACwest, Several of the all inclusives in Jamaica include diving as part of the inclusive activities. Check with the staff where you are staying. My understanding is that all tourists diving in Jamaica must be accompanied by a local DM.

Presumably local divers don't have the same restriction about diving with a local DM. I'm used to filling my tanks, heading to the nearest water and diving. There must be Jamaicans who do the same thing. The internet seems like an ideal way of meeting these people :)
It's a moot point for me for the trip in question, I spent the week snorkeling, as there is a reef just off the hotel beach which is accessible to a snorkeler with fins. Interestingly, when people asked for snorkeling gear from the hotel, they normally didn't get fins. This at least meant we were the only ones who found the reef, so I didn't really mind... Apparently fins were available, you just had to ask for them. I brought my own gear, of course, so this wasn't an issue.
We did one actual dive with the DM who does the hotels diving, and it was pretty good. They didn't charge us for gear rental, although we did need to use their tanks and weights. Still, $50 US for a one tank dive seems a bit excessive. I would have been very happy shore diving from the hotel, but there was no way to get the equipment for it. The site we were snorkeling was actually in use as a dive site by other hotels in the area, there really was no need to do it as a boat dive

Back
Top Bottom