Dive sites and OP's on south end of 7MB of Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saboteur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking at the dives I've done on GC, the furthest site south I've dived is Killer Pillar. I've mostly dived up around the west bay area or north wall. I often see dive boats moored south of Eden Rock when I am snorkelling there, so I'm thinking there must be some good sites south of there. The dive OP's I've used are Cayman university, Ambassador and LTD. I'd like to do something different and see some of these southern sites, any suggestions?

Blackie's Hole is a good dive but it's a lot farther south than you describe. I forget where it is exactly but it's on the south side.

Are you sure you're not seeing Foster's boats moored off their dock? There's about 6 of tjem.

Well, from a dive shop location south of Eden Rock you have Don Fosters - Boat and Shore Diving in Cayman Islands | Don Foster's Dive , south of that you have Sunset Divers at Sunset House - https://www.sunsethouse.com/scuba-diving - but I think they tend to focus off the dive sites on the west shore, rather than going south.

The only time I have seen people go south is when water conditions on the rest of the island make it difficult to dive there. That has happened once on all my trips down there and then a lot of dive ops relocate their boats to the South Sound dock and go out from there.

I would get in touch with those two ops and ask the question.

The only time I have seen people go south is when water conditions on the rest of the island make it difficult to dive there. That has happened once on all my trips down there and then a lot of dive ops relocate their boats to the South Sound dock and go out from there.

Same here. The only time I've gone south side is when trying to dive east and the weather was too rough.

I dive With DNS. Generally the furthest south they might go if calm on the west side is Armchair, which isn't a bad shallow dive. If conditions are bad, all the ops head south.

Sunset House keeps their boats moored offshore off their landing as well. Maybe you are seeing their boats.

If you want something different, take a look at at the East End as there are some great dives there. Ocean Frontiers is a popular dive op located in that area. It is a quiet and remote area so it may not meet your other vacation needs. What other types of things do you like to do on vacation besides diving? Are you traveling with non-divers?

If this is primarily a dive vacation then also consider visiting the sister islands of Little Cayman or Cayman Brac for some great diving.

I recommend that you look for a six or eight pack. The dives can be more customized. We have guests that do a week of 3Ts, have specific areas they want. If they ask and we can make it happen based on conditions it usually does. Many of the little guys can and will do this. Cannot cover everything possible on the website so just hit the the main stuff but it is available. For most of the little ops customization is what keeps our customers coming back and us afloat. Just did four days north for a couple of regulars who requested it. Found a place to moor the boat to make the trip less time consuming and it worked out great. They asked a couple of weeks before they came so we had time to make arrangements accordingly Don’t be afraid to ask and if someone gives you an outright no talk to someone else. Diving south is awesome and it is even better when not everyone is trying to leave from the same dock when conditions merit us all being very close together.

Back
Top Bottom