Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquabluegreg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Long Beach Scuba Show that was set for the weekend of May 30-31 has been canceled but we are still promoting discounted specials. Similar deals will also be offered at the Beneath the Sea Dive Show at the Meadowlands in Secaucus, NJ with dates October 9-11, 2020. This special (along with several resort specials) is posted on our website blog.

Damai I Liveaboard - Raja Ampat & Cenderawasih Bay June 30-12 July, 2022 - $500 OFF

Blog Link: Liquid Diving Adventures | Long Beach Scuba Show - Damai I Liveaboard

Resort specials included are:

Atlantis Puerto Galera or Dumaguete, Pgilippines - 30% OFF

Manta Ray Bay Resort, Yap - 10% OFF

Palau Dive Adventures & Palau Pacific Hotel - 10% OFF

Sorido Bay Resort, Indonesia - 10% OFF

How did you treat customers who had to cancel because of COVID-19 ?

It's a question every Scuba Dive Travel operator should be prepared t answer.

I will be pleased to offer contacts with those I have assisted (with their permission). Specifically, I had one reservation at a resort in Raja Ampat where a final payment had been sent via wire. The resort wanted to carry the payment forward, the client wanted the money back. I was able to secure a $12,000 refund to the client. We also had a group booked to the Red Sea with a Nile and Oman extension booked for May 2020. The liveaboard offered non-transferable vouchers valid for 12 months. We settled on fully transferable vouchers valid for 24 months so the divers had adequate time to re-schedule. Understand that if a LOB cancels and does not provide the goods and services as contracted, they may be in breach and a diver may request a refund (per our attorney). However this may require civil action and may only apply to US companies. For my group, the vouchers were the most reasonable solution. I have told my divers that although there is no coverage in the US like there is in the UK, I will do my best to personally stand behind my bookings. I'm sure most agents do the very best they can for their clients.

How did you treat customers who had to cancel because of COVID-19 ?

It's a question every Scuba Dive Travel operator should be prepared t answer.

needs to be more specific than that:

1) what is your refund/rebooking policy if we cannot get to the boat due to cancelled flights/travel restrictions from our/your country?
2)what is your refund/rebooking policy if you choose not to sail due to lack of guests/cancellations?

*’you should get travel insurance’ is not an acceptable response for either of these questions.

I believe it is generally understood that none of the travel insurance policies would cover the CV-19 event. To the best of my knowledge, that has not changed, but I could be wrong. I am suspect of any resort or liveaboard that has a policy that suggests buy travel insurance for CV-19. That said there are valid reasons for travel insurance. Most folks tend to fall back on their credit card for some protection. In 10 years I have not had a single diver purchase travel insurance. I believe we are generally optimistic and believe "it won't happen to me."

Without "naming names" as you may know from following all the ScubaBoard threads, every resort and liveaboard has had different cancellation policies and the challenge has been for everyone, most policies have been developed assuming it is the individual scuba diver who is going to cancel, NOT the resort or liveaboard. Who would have thought...?

Now, in response to an event that is not the responsibility of any diver or resort or liveaboard or airline, many liveaboards and resorts have changed or modified their policies to accommodate guests, some have changed strict policies after a social media storm, and a few remain unchanged with the cancelation policy as "no refund."

As an agent, we are simply middlemen acting on behalf of our clients. We have no control over how a resort or liveaboard structures their cancellation policy, and the policies are probably developed by an attorney specifically to protect the resort or liveaboard. That said, our policies generally reflect those of the resort or liveaboard or airline. In case of extraordinary circumstances (like CV-19) I have personally offered to back my clients. Without my clients, I have no business, simple as that. I do not sell widgets or gizmos, I only provide a service and you either provide good service or bad service. There is not much in between worth talking about. Who wants service that is just OK...?

If a diver cannot or does not get to a liveaboard or resort because of a delayed or canceled flight, that is tricky. I usually recommend divers book flights that allow them a day or so before and after a trip. Flight schedules (domestic Indonesia) change often and if you book a flight that has a tight connection and miss that flight, the diver bears some responsibility and the consequences. And if this happens, generally a liveaboard will not hold the boat because a diver did not plan their flights to include possible flight delays or cancellations. The flights may be covered by insurance. Travel restrictions such as CV-19 are an entirely different animal that no one has foreseen. The best I can say is that most (but not all) resorts and liveaboards are trying to do the right thing by their guests.

If we have booked individual divers (not a group) on a liveaboard and the ship does not sail due to unfilled berths, I would expect the liveaboard to re-schedule the divers. I have never had a liveaboard not sail due to unsold berths so I have no past experience to relate.

If we book a full boat charter and as an agency, are unable to fill the berths, there are several options. Work with the ship to sail regardless of the number of guests is one option. Remember, as we are contracted with the liveaboard, I am obligated to pay for all berths if I sell them or not. That is my contract responsibility. So the liveaboard will get paid in full even if we only book two divers. Another common option you may see on ScubaBoard is to sell berths at deeply discounted rates to mitigate the agent's financial loss. I did in fact cancel one Raja Ampat charter a few years ago on the Arenui and returned the deposits to the divers and lost a non-refundable $4000 deposit for the full boat charter. So life as an agent is not all roses.

I hope I answered some of your questions. There is no simple answer that fits all situations especially with an event like CV-19.

If a diver cannot or does not get to a liveaboard or resort because of a delayed or canceled flight, that is tricky. I usually recommend divers book flights that allow them a day or so before and after a trip. Flight schedules (domestic Indonesia) change often and if you book a flight that has a tight connection and miss that flight, the diver bears some responsibility and the consequences. And if this happens, generally a liveaboard will not hold the boat because a diver did not plan their flights to include possible flight delays or cancellations. The flights may be covered by insurance. Travel restrictions such as CV-19 are an entirely different animal that no one has foreseen. The best I can say is that most (but not all) resorts and liveaboards are trying to do the right thing by their guests.

This is a fair point and perhaps the flight cancellation stipulation should surround closed borders due to pandemic/natural disaster etc.To avoid the last minute schedule cancellation when the passenger took the risk to catch the last flight.

I.e. protecting the company from ‘ I actually could get there but don’t really want to’ as opposed to ‘i literally can’t get there without breaking a law or swimming’

The ‘do the right thing’ is ambiguous on both sides of the coin and open to interpretation though. My personal belief is reschedule with no extra charge.

I have Be honest to say that I am wary of a Travel agent being included in these sorts of unprecedented situations as there has been confusion as to whether the Agent or company were ultimately blocking the resolution process with both being unduly blamed in several instances for the other’s inflexibility and it’s another individual in the chain who is potentially losing money.

I would like to see/hear first hand accounts of travel agents ability to pressure operations to adhere to reschedule policies or blacklist operations. But I have still struggled to ever find the value in a travel agent other than for those who prefer not to do the planning. Iv’e never found it cheaper than dealing directly.( that being said, I know many love their agents and wouldn’t have it any other way) I’m not adverse to it and have had a couple of instances where they have been mandatory for Pre arranged photography trips etc..Always pleasant, but generally in my limited experience have a key skill of not answering the actual question that was asked :)

all personal commentary and not meant to detract from the great work travel agents do for many people..

I would like to see/hear first hand accounts of travel agents ability to pressure operations to adhere to reschedule policies or blacklist operations. But I have still struggled to ever find the value in a travel agent other than for those who prefer not to do the planning. Iv’e never found it cheaper than dealing directly.( that being said, I know many love their agents and wouldn’t have it any other way) I’m not adverse to it and have had a couple of instances where they have been mandatory for Pre arranged photography trips etc..Always pleasant, but generally in my limited experience have a key skill of not answering the actual question that was asked :)

I have had a travel agent get me on a flight ... at a better price than advertised on internet sites ... when I couldn't get a seat. I didn't even have to pay upfront to hold the ticket. I think some "authorized" travel agents have privileged access to airline booking systems. This was in Asia, so probably different to USA I expect.

I'll try to offer some additional comments for you to consider.

You said: The ‘do the right thing’ is ambiguous on both sides of the coin and open to interpretation though. My personal belief is reschedule with no extra charge.

Greg says: Although some might argue that "doing the right thing" involves some opinion, I personally don't believe it is ambiguous at all. I believe people know in their hearts when they are doing the right thing and when they are not. For a liveaboard or resort to have accepted a deposit payment or full payment on a trip from guests, and in light of CV-19, not offer a refund or at least not carry the reservation forward to another date is clearly NOT the right thing. Again, not naming names, but there have been some and my business will consider that when we book trips going forward. There are those we will continue to support and those few not so much.

You said: I have Be honest to say that I am wary of a Travel agent being included in these sorts of unprecedented situations as there has been confusion as to whether the Agent or company were ultimately blocking the resolution process with both being unduly blamed in several instances for the other’s inflexibility and it’s another individual in the chain who is potentially losing money.

Greg says: I'm not sure I understand your confusion. Each party in the contract (reservation) has specific and usually clearly defined responsibilities. Differences arise when a diver is booking a trip as a FIT (free independent traveler) or as part of a group. With group charters, the agent or dive shop becomes more of a direct representative for the dive operation and the dive operation has less direct responsibility to the guests. As for another individual in the chain potentially losing money, every business has its risks and rewards. There are no guarantees that I will make a profit on every booking. I would like to but on occasion, "stuff happens." On one of my bookings, in error, I sent a wire transfer payment to the wrong bank and resort. I was out several thousand dollars but the resort in Indonesia did the "right thing" and returned my wire payment. My client had no idea this had happened. To clear up any confusion on your part, you simply need to understand where you stand as a party in the contract (reservation) as a starting point and go from there.

You said: But I have still struggled to ever find the value in a travel agent other than for those who prefer not to do the planning. Iv’e never found it cheaper than dealing directly.

Greg says: I would guess that about 80% of my current clients have been long time clients and I book two to three trips a year for each party. I must assume they find some value in my services. And they are experienced divers and not too lazy to book their own travel. What do I offer...? Simple, I typically discount almost every trip, and I do provide other benefits. I am not going to get into a bidding war like the PADI "best price guarantee." But I'll be glad to provide you a quote on any trip. There are some liveaboards that will not allow me to offer a discounted rate. Galapagos Sky is one. On specials I offer for that liveaboard, I am offering a free Cosmiq+ dive computer or other perk of substantial value.

What else can an agent do for you...? Two recent clients booked on the Rock Island Aggressor (Palau) requested steel tanks. Because of the number of requests on that charter, Aggressor was going to charge my divers $125 for the tanks which would normally be free. I arranged with the owner of Palau Dive Adventures to provide steel tanks at no charge and made other ground tour arrangements including airport transfers. Sometimes it is the little things that make an agent worthwhile.

I would be pleased to discuss some of my specific situations related to CV-19 off forum as I have no desire for some comments to be misunderstood by members of the forum or any resorts or liveaboards I work with. Most every individual is experiencing the same pain, be it guests or resorts or liveaboards. All have lost jobs, families to feed, employees to pay, and we all have expenses now that probably exceed our income. Some companies had policies that were probably not in their best interest in the long run and some companies took immediate initiative realizing caring for a customer today means a return guest in the future.

Thanks for your additions Greg, although respectfully your ‘do the right thing’ is still a touch ambiguous by the nature of the interpretation being 2 possible outcomes. There have been more than a few individuals on this board who have felt that anything less than a full refund is dishonest bordering on criminal. I am not in that camp as a feel we share the misfortune and a free reschedule is warranted, but for the sake of the response to Umuntu’s comment. I think that should be very clearly stated in future contracts.

the ‘I’m not sure I understand your confusion’. Note again is in reference to several scenarios on this board where posters have initially claimed that travel agents have Been very inflexible, and given them bad reviews, only for further investigation to reveal that the poster was confused and it was actually the operator who was being inflexible. There was also at least one scenario where The opposite was claimed from the onset, with the operation being blamed, but when the operator was eventually contacted directly, they claimed that they had indeed offered full refunds/change of date and the agent was claiming they weren’t in order to offset their own costs.

my confusion has come from those specific situations, not that I have ever directly experienced them myself..either way, at this point I think there items should be in a more generic ‘travel agent/operator post Covid’ forum as I appreciate that they don’t relate to you and are hijacking your thread a little..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom