Dive Shops San Juan or East of San Juan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all,

We are travelling to Puerto Rico and stay at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar on June 11. My daughter and I completed our open water training last summer, and I went on 8 dives in Cozumel in January. I would love your recommendations on great dive shops not too far from the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar.

Thanks

We are planning a trip for November and will be staying at the Royal Sonesta and diving with Sea Ventures out of Fajardo. You might check them out.

This might get more replies in the Greater Antilles subforum.

[Mod edit] moved as suggested

My wife and I did a 2-tank dive out of Fajardo with Aqua Adventures PR in Feb 2021. They took us out to the west side of Culebra, anchored just off-shore (could swim to shore, maybe 100-200 yards). The ride felt long, must have been a couple hours, but we did see a whale on the way. I thought it was a very nice experience that I would do again. My wife thought the crew was pushy and not as friendly as the other two boats we went on from the west side of PR -- but I think she just gets along better with her own people (Mexican), and this crew was all American and European, so take that for what it is worth. The diving was amazing, to me, 50'+ viz and lots of coral and life (smaller life, like most of PR area).

I don't think you'll find much diving in that part of PR other than boats going out to Culebra area, but please let me/us know if you do, especially if you find a place for shore diving. There are more options for diving off the west coast of PR, including exactly 2 shore diving spots (that I know of) both within 1 mile of each other near Aguadilla. The winds mostly blow East to West so the west coast is protected and easiest diving -- it no longer has any real ports though, so just smaller dive boats going to near-shore reefs mostly, they are every bit as nice as the reefs near Culebra, but maybe just not as great viz (but still usually 30+ feet).

My wife and I are going back for our 2nd trip in two weeks. Last time we went for 30 days, this time just 11, so our plan is something like this: First weekend in Old San Juan for party/fun (wife's birthday), then spend all week at Crash Boat Beach and El Natural doing shore diving, then spend last weekend in Condado area (busy but trendy/nice area in San Juan) enjoying nice dining options and probably swim with the many sea turtles in Escambron -- the little man-made hole where all of the scuba certification classes are done, super easy parking and tank rental on-site.

If you need to go to any dive shops while there, I highly recommend prdive.net, I had only bad experiences at every other shop in San Juan area. There might be other good shops in Fajardo area, but we didn't need any in that area, so did not look.

Travel with yoke or adapters... nobody in PR knew what DIN was, except the great guys at prdive. Actually the Auqa Adventures boat was able to get us DIN, but it almost didn't work out, luckily the captain was able to borrow hex key (alan) wrenches from another docked boat to remove the inserts from the pro valves, or we would not have been diving that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom