Dive shops in west Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi - I am hoping to plan a trip to PR in Feb. 2009 and would really like to dive at Desecheo and Mona. Any advice about weather conditions at that time of year and whether charters will be going to these islands? Comments about Oceans Unlimited dive operation?
Thanks very much!

Sorry, but you won't be able to dive Mona. It is practically impossible to get a boat out there. Unless you have the money to charter one out for yourself. Taino Divers always goes out to Desecheo so your fine there. Since your coming in Feb. there will be some waves but you should be fine. Never used Oceans Unlimited dive operation.

PR, are they even issuing permits for Mona? I heard that the Department of Natural Resources are not issuing them at this time. The only time I've heard of Taino cancelling when a big swell comes in. Unfortunately February is right in the middle of the big swell time.

Well, it is very hard to get permits for Mona. But I am going this weekend! It's very hard to get out there but the dive shop did. I can't wait.

Well, it is very hard to get permits for Mona. But I am going this weekend! It's very hard to get out there but the dive shop did. I can't wait.

How was Mona? Did you go with Taino Divers? How were you able to get a permit?

Also, I will be in Puerto Rico early October for a family wedding. I only have 1 day to dive, on a Monday and my first choice was to go to Desecheo with Taino Divers. What are the seas like in October?

PM sent with more questions.

As for Mona. I never went out. The weather was too bad and the waves were to big.

PM answered.

Myself and a few members of my family are going to PR for New Years and staying until Three kings day. I know this is a time for festivities, but we want to go diving while we are out there. (We'll be staying in Aguada at my parents place) How much time in advance do you think we will need to make reservations once we get a full head count? Is this time of year extremely busy down there for dive shops? From what I been reading, I gather that Taino Divers in Ricón would be our best bet, so we will probably go with them. BUT, If we have a chance we may go somewhere else on the island to dive. What would be the #1 spot to dive?

I'm new to the board and just recently was certified. I'll be traveling to PR Aug 22 - 29 with a veteran diving friend who has been to Bonaire a billion times.

I'm looking for some good shops and locations to begin my diving career. Some locations that seem good for beginners are Culebra, Fajardo, and Humacao. I hear that Desecheo is a must dive, but is that only for advanced divers?

Does anyone know of dive shops they would recommend or advise against? I have found a few (culubradivers, Sea Ventures) but would love some expert advice on where I should focus on.

Thanks!

Erin

I'm new to the board and just recently was certified. I'll be traveling to PR Aug 22 - 29 with a veteran diving friend who has been to Bonaire a billion times.

I'm looking for some good shops and locations to begin my diving career. Some locations that seem good for beginners are Culebra, Fajardo, and Humacao. I hear that Desecheo is a must dive, but is that only for advanced divers?

Does anyone know of dive shops they would recommend or advise against? I have found a few (culubradivers, Sea Ventures) but would love some expert advice on where I should focus on.

Thanks!

Erin

I've never been diving in Culebra, but I have been snorkeling there and it is beautiful. The clearest water I've seen in PR. And it seems like it would be a great place for a beginner to dive. Also, I've heard Vieques is good and similar to Culebra with the clear water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom