Dive Shop Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My youngest daughter is in Waxahachie. She wants to try SCUBA. She did a DSD at her University, but it was pool only.
What I am looking for is a dive shop somewhere in that area that does DSD classes that include actual ocean dives.
They're graduating in December, and I'd like to get her underwater as a graduation present.

A long weekend in Cozumel?

They dive the rigs and Flower Gardens off south Texas. And some wrecks. None are shallow enough/suitable for a DSD.

Someone might be doing one off the Port Aransas Jetty's but you've got to be pretty desperate to dive there. It wouldn't be a good first experience.
Port Aransas Jetties | Ascuba Venture
Visibility will range from 5-30 ft

Maybe look for something around Corpus Christie/South Padre. Check with American Diving. Or Copeland's.

My friend lives in Galveston. It's too murky offshore there so they go miles out to the rigs.

Your best shot for an open water DSD in Texas would be at Spring Lake in San Marcos. Good vis, 40-80', shallow, easy entries/exits, constant temp at 72. Diving for Science : Aquarena Center : Texas State University, should give you an idea of what the diving is like there.

All the shops in Austin have instructors certified to dive there. Personally, I like Robert at Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba. He did a refresher for my wife and stepson earlier this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom