Dive Rites Regs and Backplates and Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burnt3d

Reaction score
I found a dive rite dealer in Iowa. Does anyone have experience with their rg1200 regulator??

How about their backplate and wing system?? I'm finding out the backplate and wing system is the most verstile system.

Any suggestions??

I don't have a Dive Rite computer, but I do have one of their Trans Pac backplates and both the small and intermediate size wings.

The biggest issue I have with the setup is all the bouyancy is on your back and if you are unconcious at the surface you are going to be face down in the water. With a conventional BC you will be face up in the water. I compensate for this problem by trying to remain concious. :)

I like the smaller wings for trips to the Caribbean, because they pack up smaller. The intermediate wings are needed for local diving with 7mm suit.

I am curious to know what other users think.

Hi,

I've been diving with the rg-1200 for a while now and it's quite a good reg' even though the apex, zeagle and aqua-lung are as good if not a bit better. The main flaw I found is that you can't switch it to left side if you're on a tek dive and you want one reg from each side.

As for the wings - I myself have the superwings since |I usxe this BC only foir teck dive. With those I have no complaints and I've tried it with 1 to 4 tanks. I also have the Transpack to harness which is very good although the backplate is a bit more comfortable with multiple tanks on your back.

Regarding face down or up of an unconscious diver it all started years ago as a rumour spread by recreatioal BC's manufactors Acctually it reaaly depends on your angle at the beginning of your ascent, you may end either way with both systems.

I do agree that it's better not to find out, though!!!

Safe and pleasent dives!

Dive Rite makes some very good equipment. If you go with the Backplate, get the one piece webbing, not the deluxe one. You don't 18 D-rings, 3 to 5 is all you need.

For wings, If you diving singles, get the BC jr (which I think is now the Trek wing), for doubles, get the Classic - you don't need the shock cord on the wings. Also, don't get the pull to dump cable, go with the standard elbow. Reason being, one day you yank on that thing and it comes off in your hand.

For the RG1200 - Never dove it, but I hear it is a very good reg, breaths great, and low maintenance.

Eric

I use Rec wings on a transpac 2 - great for singles and doubles.

and uhm - I can tell you that when that cable breaks - it's pretty interesting, but it's not the end of the world, I still like having the pull dump, but I frnakly think tha tit is easier to keep trak of the dump if you look at the bubbles, something I can't do when I pull on it...

Btw, the wire did not break - the pin attaching it to the power inflator did...

As far as the "real" backplate goes - and I suppose this goes for any BC really, bicycle innertubes are great for attaching stuff, on the D-ring - great, now if it would just quit dangle? Slide some inner tube over the webbing and stick lights and stuff under it...
Also works great for the latche on your cannister light (Yes, I have a buddy who surfaced *sans* battery... :)

Terkel

ID,the reason for a reg from the left is when diving doubles you have a reg from the right post a reg from the left post and one is your primary ,one is your secondary(usually around your neck on sur. tubing.It gets worse tho!with stage bottles you can have the same prob; a 'left' reg and a 'right' reg.Thats 4 regs 3 or more gasses and a hell of a task loading issue at first.

I see now, just a different way you configure your regs, both mine come from the right. Left post primary reg on the long hose, right post secondary reg on bungee.

ID

ID .. ?

Left post:
Backup reg
SPG
Drysuit inflation (gas or exposure dependent)

Right post:
Primary
Wings

Your setup is how?

Brad

Left hand typing right post and right hand typing left post, thanks for the correction.

But I still don't see the reg coming from the left side.

ID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom