Dive Rite TravelPac BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After a long time, I have finally decided to switch to a back inflated BCD. Light and compact gear for traveling is one of my concerns, so the Dive Rite TravelPac seemed to be a solid option with a reasonable price, especially since I dive with 8 lbs in saltwater using a 3 mm.

I had a dive shop strongly advise me against the TravelPac because of lift and stability issues. They said they recommend at least 35 lbs of lift for safe diving (TravelPac has 25). They suggested the xdeep ghost. That one does look like it is better, but it is pricier too.

So I wanted some opinions on the pros and cons of the TravelPac, and also some advice on where to attach weight pockets if I decide to buy it.

I weigh around 160 lbs and I'm not very buoyant. I am not a technical diver, and I do not want a backplate and wing at the moment. I will also not be doing any cold water diving anytime soon.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Both of those would be fine choices.

MY OPINION: You do not need 35# lift.
I weigh 190# and for ocean diving in a full or shorty wetsuit I use 8-10# of weight with a 23# wing for lift. I do use a 39# wing diving fresh water in my drysuit with 23-28# of weight. I think the person at the dive shop gave you bad advice.

35 pounds of lift is overkill for warm water diving with the details you have provided. Sounds like your LDS is more interested in their profit margin. I’m 165 pounds and diving a wing with 18 pounds of lift. If you have plans to bring up sunken treasure then please disregard.......:)

Overall I agree with the comments. 25 Lbs lift would be enough for warm water/ 3mm suit diving.
That said, I see you're a DM candidate. You might want the added lift in a assist/rescue situation or rough choppy waters.
Partially inflated a larger wing/back cell provides for a stable vertical position at the surface.
I used a 50 lbs wing when teaching/conducting open water training for that reason.

Mike Dolson
Naui 4780/Padi 202288 (retired)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom