Dive Rite Travel Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I am incrementally putting together a BP/W setup. I have a Dive Rite backplate with standard harness that's assembled to my pre-pool satisfaction. Looking to buy one of the travel wings; I'll be doing mostly warm-water diving. Can someone shed light on these different options? Particularly, what is the difference between the EXP and XT; and how to decide on which elbow length to go with?

1. Dive Rite Travel EXP (12" or 16" elbow), ~ $235
2. Dive Rite Travel XT (12" or 16" elbow), ~ $270

Thanks.

David

The EXP wing is made of1680 ballistic nylon. The XT wing has a more rugged "super fabric" on the outside of the wing and the 1680 ballistic on the divers side of the wing. The length of the inflator hose is a personal choice.

Since this the technical diving forum.

That little amount of lift does not provide as much flexibility as the voyager model. There is a statement on the Diverite website about the limited lift of the travel model. We had a guy who used a low lift bcd, that had to be rescued on an offshore rig dive because of the low lift.

The people we have outfitted have all used 16 inch elbows or rapid exhausts. If you are big or tall, you may even want a 19” hose, which I do not think they carry.

The xt material is much heavier. Almost everyone we have sold has the exp material, unless they plan on doing cave or technical diving.

Since this the technical diving forum.

That little amount of lift does not provide as much flexibility as the voyager model. There is a statement on the Diverite website about the limited lift of the travel model. We had a guy who used a low lift bcd, that had to be rescued on an offshore rig dive because of the low lift.

The people we have outfitted have all used 16 inch elbows or rapid exhausts. If you are big or tall, you may even want a 19” hose, which I do not think they carry.

The xt material is much heavier. Almost everyone we have sold has the exp material, unless they plan on doing cave or technical diving.

I appreciate the response, good details. I was considering adding this to the advanced forumn instead. The actual diving will be warm water and shallow. I don't expect to need anything more than a 3 mm, so the 25 lbs of lift should suffice unless I am too far off on my estimation somewhere.

I have the XT travel wing. I personally think it is overkill for most recreational divers. I describe it as being built like a tank. Only you will know if you need or want that kind of durability. It’s heavier and not very flexible.

If I could have a do-over, I’d choose the EXP instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom