Dive Rite LX25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for a primary canister and I don't have much experience with them. I'd like to stick with LED technology however. What is the general consensus on the LX25? What other options should I consider? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 253
they don't publish lumen output, which is crap, but on high, with 7 hours of burn time, assuming it doesn't taper off, it is drawing ~14.5 watts of power. Making a whole bunch of assumptions and assuming efficiencies that I know for a fact they aren't achieving, that light is capable of putting out 1400 lumen. In reality, it's somewhat optimistically 1200. Contrary to what Dive Rite and Halcyon say about lumen, lumen is actually the only "accurate indicator of useable light in a diving scenario", to quote Halcyon. Lux is very good for measuring the hot spot, the penetration of the light, etc, but a Laser has an idiotically high Lux reading, even though it may have a miniscule lumen rating. Your cars high beams have a negligible lux rating, but the lumens are quite high which gives you field of view. There are pros and cons to having access to each of the measurements, but lumen is what tells you how much light is coming out of the head, lux tells you how concentrated it is.

You're going to want Li-ion, so it's a $1000 light *assuming you don't have any kind of deal on them*, for ~1200 lumen and a 7 hour burn time. It does have high and low which is nice, switch on the head which is also nice *though I really don't like rotary switches*, 6* beam angle, and has a standard latched lid. I am really not a fan of the way they charge it, it's the cheap way out imho, but it's not abnormal in the scuba industry to use that style of plug for charging, just not particularly elegant.

So you're getting a pretty standard canister light, imho nothing special, it's on the high end of the price range for what it is, but Dive Rite is a company with legendary customer service, so if something goes wrong, you can pretty much guarantee you'll be taken care of. It's not the cheapest light with those specs out there, it is certainly not the "best" light with those specs out there, but there are pros and cons.

so now that the original question was answered, I'll take the liberty to give my thoughts on where I would go. Unlike @PfcAJ above, I prefer an 8* beam angle, to 6*. I dove with a 6* beam angle for a long time, but have come to prefer 8*. Personal preference and all that.

Current light is one of these, just an older generation
1500 Lumen Primary Light
This is a bit snazzier version of the LX25 in terms of similar specs. With the medium battery you get about 7 hours of burn time on high, it outputs a true 1500 lumen at a 6* beam angle. Latchless design and charging is done by the sex base so you don't have to take it apart which is nice. There is a custom designed piezo switch on the head for the light which is more reliable than the mag switches. Similar quick release from the goodman handle, though I prefer the LD design to the QRM. Bit more money, but you go from latched to latchless, have a meaningful increase in light output, protected cable, better gland design if you are in sidemount, and it is designed by a company that does nothing but lights with custom designed parts vs being contracted out using off the shelf parts. In my opinion, especially as an engineer, this is the best light on the market bar none *The LD products as a whole, not just this specific one*

I was in cave country a few weeks ago and was using one of these for the trip. Put ~15 hours of bottom time on it over the 4 days we were there
CL2300 Canister Light (6 batteries) – ANO Online Shop
Double the light of the LX25, uses a magnetic switch that is a slide instead of ring *not too sure how I felt about that...*, latchless design and has a pretty snazzy screw port for charging. 8* beam instead of 6*, and only a 2.5hour burn time on high, though I found myself leaving it on medium most of the time, even in big caves like Ginnie. Probably because my buddy dives with a LD35 and leaves it on high and I use helmet lights so there is no lack of light in there, but I just didn't see the need to leave it on high. For $500, it is probably the best bang for the buck right now imho. Build quality is very good, they are using Panasonic cells in the battery packs, customer service has been good, and for half the price of anything else out there, it's pretty slick. I am not entirely sure that I trust it quite like I would something from UWLD, Light Monkey, Dive Rite, Halcyon etc. yet, mainly because of lack of serious use and abuse that we have put them through vs the known abuse the others have taken, but I still trust it enough to go more than a mile back in a cave and through proper sidemount restrictions and haven't had an issue yet. Will be diving this more over the next 4-6 months but as of right now, have 0 problems recommending it if you are trying to get the best deal if you are unsure what you need/want at this point, or are being budget conscious on this. I personally see no reason to buy a Dive Rite or Light Monkey product over one of these based on the price/performance/features balance sheet.

The problem with Dive Rite lights is they discontinue them right about the time you need parts.

The only two companies I would recommend are Light Monkey and Underwater Light Dude. They have been extensively proven in North Florida caves.

The problem with Dive Rite lights is they discontinue them right about the time you need parts.

Did you try to get parts for a discontinued LED light of theirs?

I have found that Dive Rite in the past has either had many replacement items for discontinued products, or satisfy you some other way.

Did you try to get parts for a discontinued LED light of theirs?

I have found that Dive Rite in the past has either had many replacement items for discontinued products, or satisfy you some other way.

No, not for any of their LED's.

Dive Rite took care of me with one of my lights thats been discontinued several years recently. From the time I sent an email until the light was fixed was about a week. They found old parts still at Dive Rite. I've found they have great customer service over the last 15 years or so I've used their gear. I'd at least give them a chance

Dive Rite's customer service is top notch for sure. I own a couple grand worth of their products so no complaints in that department either. Lights are a relatively expensive venture and when I buy one I want to know it's because they are time tested and will be around for awhile. DR doesn't instill that sort of faith with me in the light department where as LM does, it's what they do, it's not just one of the many products that they carry. Who knows, maybe it's all in my head. I do know that I have HID and LED units from LM that have performed admirably over the years and every piece of it can still be serviced or replaced and in all likelihood are still being sold today. I can't say the same about DR's lights even though they may have some parts out back.

@syntaxerrorsix will have to disagree with you on the lights not being one of many products they carry for LM, but it is their primary focus. Bands, valves, SPG's, P'valves, drysuit pockets, Helmets, backplates/wings, reels/spools, and lights. Far cry from them being the only focus, I think UWLD, Light and Motion, Keldan, etc can claim that, but not LM. Not that it's a bad thing, especially since it is certainly the brands focus, just wasn't an entirely accurate statement.

Will have to pick on your comment about the LED's though, the reason they are still being sold is because they are using decade+ old technology in their light heads which is why their heads are nowhere near as efficient as other lights on the market. Not a bad thing, just something that you should be aware of before purchase. When you buy Light Monkey, you are buying the service, the brand, and what is known to be a high quality and reliable product. If you want the most efficient and latest technology, then you have to go elsewhere. Dive Rite is using modern emitters which is why their products change more regularly, they are much more efficient, which translates to either more burn time, or smaller batteries. Light Monkey is ~30% less efficient than UWLD for reference for the same light output. Dive Rite will be much closer in efficiency, but is limited in brightness to about 70% of what you will get out of the lowest model from UWLD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom