Dive Rite LED Canister Won't Light - Help Appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIDiver60

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I bought a used Dive Rite MR-11 canister light that was coverted by Dive Rite to an LED light head. It recently stopped working (won't light at all) and I would appreciate any help with how I might repair it myself. I realize I can always send it back to Dive Rite.

When I remove the glass lense there was a few drops of water on and behind the inner o-ring (the one behind the glass) and on the glass. Unfortunately the light was in my car 45 degrees F over night and I'm not sure if the water on the glass was condensation, but the there was a trace amount of water on and behind the inner 0-ring. There was no sign of water on the LED board or the inside of the light head beyond the inner o-ring. I couldn't see any water before removing the glass.

Attached is a photo of the LED and what I've been able to determine.

LED Light Head.jpg

13.7 V at battery and across switch, 12.9 V at the light head measured at the white + and blue - leads on the LED board. With battery installed I took the following measurement with the negative lead of the meter on the blue wire of the LED board and moving the positive meter probe to the K and A LED leads for each LED

Lead K Lead A
LED # 1 12.7 V 8.1 V
LED #2 8.1 V 3.9 V
LED#3 3.9 V 0.1 mV

There is also continunity between the white lead (+) on the LED board and lead K on LED 3 and also continunity between the blue lead (-) and lead A on LED #1. I believe these readings indicate the three LEDs are connected in series and are all receiving power and grounded properly.

Appreciate any advise on how I can repair the problem or additional troubleshooting tips.

Thanks

-first determine if it was inside salt water (taste with tongue enclosure inside )

-remove PCB by unscrewing central allen screw

-there should be led driver (it is wet )

-in what condition it is (photo)

-rinse whole PCB with mixture of isopropylene (90%vol) and distiled water (10%vol) (also enclosure inside )
try to avoid direct contact with LED silicone dome rinse from side , rinse and brush driver with smooth teethbrush

-slowly dry on cca 45°C (1-2h)

-eye inspection on surface PCB

-try to light up

Last edited:
I have an older DR HID canister that stopped working....

One of the switch leads had become loose in the canister.....

M

Lucca, thanks for the suggestions. Since nobody was home to watch (they think I'm crazy enough), the inner o-ring for the lense did taste of salt The inside of the light head was clean and dry. The led driver was dry and looked to be in great shape to me. Photo attached. Any reason to try cleaning? If excuse my ignorance but what is a cca that I should dry it on?

DSC00323.jpg

The heat sink and driver were tight so after I removed the nut holding the wire and tilted the led board out of the way I screwed the allen head bolt back in and pull on the head of the allen bolt (with an allen wrench in the head so I would deform it). I tried several times and had to pull hard (steady pressure). Got it out but pulled the positive lead off the led board and the negative lead off the circuit board.

Any way I can test the leds without burning them out? I'm thinking if they work I should replace the board.

Also the hole on the back side of the light looks like it should be there and I can detect any connection with the inside of the light head.

Canister Rear.jpg

Thanks again

Or any way to test the led board?

Thanks

Thanks Jorgy, but I had power at the led board so I don't think that was my issue. I turned the switch off and on a few times and always had power at the led board. Thanks

How To Test A LED Light Emitting Diode With A Digital Multimeter DMM - YouTube

testing leds low power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbSi_X7Ew3Y

testing leds high power ( I think will not shine because of current arround 500-1,200 mA )

this is LUXEON K2 led (old led ;-))
www.philipslumileds.com/uploads/54/DS51-pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
with little surgery ;-)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?313490-DiveRite-10w-HID-to-Aspheric-XM-L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom