Dive Rite - Lamar's view...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlarbale

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys,

Attended a presentation in Adelaide last night by Lamar from Dive Rite. Really interesting stuff all about his latest trip etc and also some pointers about the Transpac II (along with other DR gear).

So being in the market for a new BCD, and looking at the possibility of a BP + harness or a DiveRite I decided to ask some relevant questions. Here they are and his responses (note I'll try to be as accurate as possible, just going from memory!)...

Q/ You mentioned that with the BP configuration it's not possible to sidemount.

A/ I didn't say that it's not possible to sidemount. However the backplate isn't flexible so you can get stuck up on it in a cave. Also restricts movement and has more drag when sidemounting.

Q/ Do you use the same wing for singles and twins?

A/ Depends on the application. It is possible to use the same wing for singles and twins but the amount of lift will be reduced on a twin set because the wing is restricted. (Also mentioned something about the bungies being on the underside and therefore not likely to get snagged - I've seen threads that mention otherwise!).

Q/ Diving dry I see a BP as an advantage because I'd be able to lose the weight belt.

A/ Yes it can be seen as an advantage but what are you going to do when diving wet with several stage bottles and twins? You'll probably be overweighted and have to use an Aluminium/ABS plate.

Other key points relating to BP + harness V's Transpac II...

1/ Having just dived at the Nullarbor he wouldn't have comfortably been able to carry the twin setup the same distance he did with the transpac - BP and harness digs/cuts in.

2/ If you get to a site your exploring and you realise that back mounted doubles aren't what's required you can easily change to side mounts without having to get the wrench out (diving independants).

3/ If everyone is diving independants then why have a long-hose. They have their own redundancy so your never going to have to pass it off. (Did mention that where possible he'd dive Manifold).

4/ When travelling are you realistically going to take your backplate, tank bands and manifold with you just so you can set up twins.

I'm sure there was more but can't remember at the moment. I'll post again if anything springs to mind. Comments please.

Later - Dave

Yeah and I'm sure all the instructors that use certain products get them at reduced rates. We all know how the dive industry works - my local dive shop even checked to make sure the gear I'd be using whilst Dive Mastering for them was made by manufacturers that they sell!

What about the improtant stuff - side mounts with a backplate, possible but possibly not the best solution. And also the DIR crew advocate the BP, Harness and Wings setup as the last BCD you'll ever need - how do these guys travel with SS backplates, are they overweighted?

Later - Dave.

As far as I know all manufacturers including Halcyon give industry-pro and rental discounts.

UP
I would be surprised to find a manufacturer who doesn't like their products.

Sorry couldn't help myself. I was intended to be good natured sarcasm though.

All,

Well the dicission has finally been made, not so much by me but by my old-man. Sent him an e-mail to find out the price of Back Plates in England and he just went ahead and ordered it! So all I need to do now is get some webbing and other stuff (don't worry I've got all the required web-sites for this) and sort ut some wings.

Thinking about getting the Halcyon wings (36lb) as they sit fairly close to the Back Plate compared to the Dive Rite ones (they use some sort of stabalising plate).

Should be able to get the Halcyon wings at $610 AUS, the BackPlate SS was about $115 AUS and the webbing, single tank bands and buckles shouldn't come to more than $300. So for just over a grand I've got a system that will be Ok for singles and for an additional $750 AUS I can get the Halcyon 55 lb wing and just bolt it on for doubles.

That's not too bad, just need to jump in the pool with it all and see how I go!!

Thanks to everyone for their views on this drawn out decision!!

Later - Dave.

PS// Should get a chance to test it all in about 3 weeks time so keep an eye out for a detailed report.

Pug,

Stop all of your posting and get back to work - that's about the only way you'll be able to afford to come over here and set the bloody thing up for me. (I bet just the thought of leaving your back yard has worried ya, we all know how well travelled Septics are!).

Later - Dave.

No offence intended. Just bagging ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom