Dive Rite CCR XT Wing VS Classic XT - Independent Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Lad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I'm currently looking into adjusting my setup to move into diving independent doubles (probably AL63 or AL50 tanks), and possibly twinset with manifold in future, but for now, just ID. I'm comparing the CCR XT wing and the classic XT, both in single bladder config. I can see that the classic XT has a lot more lift (60lbs vs ccr 40lbs) but other than that, are there any advantages to the classic XT over the CCR wing? I prefer the inflator offset to one side due to a project I'm working on at the moment that would fit better in that config, hence I like the look of the CCR wing, and I'm also not sure if I'd need all the additional lift with the kind of diving I do - mostly recreational level longer dives with some enhanced off gassing (not deco per se, but I like to get my surface GF down to about 30% before leaving the water). Also planning on potentially purchasing a Choptima rebreather in the not so distant future.

Has anyone dived both wings in either a twinset or independent doubles config and can comment on the difference?

I cant comment on the CCR wing directly, but I have the Rec XT (DB) and Classic EXP (DB).

I used the Rec XT for warm-water 2x AL-80 Independent doubles and was quite happy with it on the '22 Cozumel Invasion for shore, boat, and cenote dives. I modified my Golem "Reverse Profile" Stream plate to accept 2 pairs of cambands, and the open-cross center section allowed sufficient room for easy use of all 4 cambands. Overall, I didn't notice the wing other than it worked, easily - which is what I want.

At home with HP100 steel banded and manifolded doubles with 7mm or drysuit, I've used 55 (Oxycheq Vertex) and now 60lb (Classic EXP) nominal-lift wings. That is likely more than I need, but I prefer to have more than minmum-worst-case lift at depth with full tanks and a flooded/compressed suit or at the surface with full tanks and flooded DS. I strongly prefer having significant positive buoyancy at the surface, JIC - head and shoulders out of the water in case I'm waiting in chop or worse. Also, with the wider banded & steel tanks, the wider wings have a little more taco/wrap which aids stability at the sacrifice of more difficulty in expelling the air when required. However, I would not use the larger wing with my steel LP-50 doubles; it would have excessive lift and taco.

I think the Classic is likely going to be more lift than you need if you are doing warm wet diving and (especially with smaller cylinders) will have a significant to massive amount of taco. Aluminums don't have the degree of negative buoyancy that steels do and shifting the center of lift higher through taco for additional rotational stability is not really a desirable tradeoff against the air-management hassle.

Assuming you are talking about aluminum backmount DIL/BO and a Choptima, I wonder if the Rec XT might be slightly better than the CCR wing with just a little bit more lift, biased a bit lower - but I'm guessing on the trim characteristics of the Choptima. Might be worth asking for feedback from Dive Rite directly. But you are correct the corrugated hose attachment is more central than the CCR.

FWIW, John Chatterton has an article praising the Rec XT (DB) in his use with steel 120 doubles and 2x AL80 stages: Dive Rite Rec XT 45# Wing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom