Dive Rite 16lb QR horizontal or vertical?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selchie in LB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Dive Rite basic BP/W setup. I purchased the QR 16lb pockets. It was setup with the pockets horizontal on the waist strap. Since I am so skinny I didn't have any room for anything else on my waist. In the horizontal position, they were up against the BP and the D-ring in front help them in place. I tried to mount them vertically, but there wasn't any way to hold them in place. I using slides but the straps are so wide they went right over them. I got a pocket weight belt but I don't like how the weights have to be placed. I am thinking of putting them on a separate weight belt but am running into the same problem of horizontal or vertical positioning and securing them in place. The DR website only shows how they can be secured to the Transpac. That system has an extra web loop sewn in and uses the D-ring to hold the pocket in place. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have a Dive Rite basic BP/W setup. I purchased the QR 16lb pockets. It was setup with the pockets horizontal on the waist strap. Since I am so skinny I didn't have any room for anything else on my waist. In the horizontal position, they were up against the BP and the D-ring in front help them in place. I tried to mount them vertically, but there wasn't any way to hold them in place. I using slides but the straps are so wide they went right over them. I got a pocket weight belt but I don't like how the weights have to be placed. I am thinking of putting them on a separate weight belt but am running into the same problem of horizontal or vertical positioning and securing them in place. The DR website only shows how they can be secured to the Transpac. That system has an extra web loop sewn in and uses the D-ring to hold the pocket in place. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I think you'll find they can be mounted vertically, well according to DR website anyway.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - 16LB QB Weight Pocket

Im sure Kathleen will be along shortly to assist. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Hi Selchie,

Good question. What most folks do is add another D-ring or a larger, plastic slide to keep weight pockets locked on a Basic Harness configuration. It's much more convenient to have the extra hardware vs. an extra weight belt, etc.

Sorry I've been out of touch; was on vacation last week.

I hope this is helpful,
Kathleen

Sorry to revive an old thread. I just purchased the 16lbs weight pocket and the first thing i tried was to pull the weight pocket to see if it unlocks. Yes it did when i pull hard wnough. However, the velcro quality is too good that it won't detach completely. Maybe should pull harder.

Anyway, anyone has any experience trying both vertical and horizontal orientation??

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both orientation?

Input appreciated.

Thanjs

I think the orientation is mostly a matter of preference. I recently changed mine from vertical to horizontal to address some bottom heavy trim issues. The downside with the horizontal position is that there is less real estate available on the waist strap for pockets, tools, etc.

I believe that removing the weight is intended to be a two stage process-to prevent inadvertent release. The downside may be that a rescuer trying to dump your weights might be delayed by unfamiliarity with the system.

I think the orientation is mostly a matter of preference. I recently changed mine from vertical to horizontal to address some bottom heavy trim issues. The downside with the horizontal position is that there is less real estate available on the waist strap for pockets, tools, etc.

I believe that removing the weight is intended to be a two stage process-to prevent inadvertent release. The downside may be that a rescuer trying to dump your weights might be delayed by unfamiliarity with the system.

So, vertical orientatiom does result bottom heavy.

Thanks.

I have mine vertically oriented. Also, and this may be very wrong, I have the handles pointing down. I found, because I'm short, I didn't have good rom/strength to release them with the handles up. The velcro is sturdy, holds well, and I have no problem deploying them in the current configuration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom