Dive Resume?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone!

I'm applying for a job at a local dive shop, and the manager asked for a "dive resume outlining your dive history".

Maybe this is common knowledge but I'm not really sure what exactly that is... Is it just a list of all your dives? Is there a specific format like one for an actual resume?

It'd be great to get some good advice from some fellow divers!

Thanks in advance!

-Mndiv

I'd say they're after information like:
- total number of dives
- experience in various conditions - for example have you got experience in deep diving, night diving, drift diving, low vis diving etc? Are you used to diving in relatively rough seas? Highlight the experience which is relevant to the local area.
- if you're applying for a DM role, how many dives have you guided and in what kind of conditions? How many classes have you assisted on? How many refreshers have you done? Etc.
- if you're applying for an instructor role, how many certifications do you have and in what areas (OW, AOW, Rescue etc)
- do you have any student level or instructor level specialties?
- do you have any other relevant training, for example Emergency Oxygen Provider?
- do you have any maritime qualifications, particularly if the job involves working on a boat?
- are you planning to do any courses in the near future which might be relevant, eg specialty instructor ratings in underwater photography, deep diving, wreck diving, or whatever is relevant to the area? (Always good to show you're willing to invest in your professional development)

I don't think there's any set format, I'd probably lay it out under headings on the type of activity eg general diving experience, dive guiding experience, teaching experience etc.

That's all I can think of for now, good luck with the job!

I can't add anything except to include everything you can think of. Anything at all that's even a little relevant. I've never done this with diving, but did several times applying for school Band teacher jobs. I always included my teaching experience, education, playing experience, letters of recommendation, etc.

TMHeimer is right, throw in anything which may be relevant - which got me thinking - do you have retail experience? LDSs rely heavily on equipment sales. Might be an idea to research the key products stocked by the LDS you're applying to (many stores have relationships with a couple of brands) so that you can demonstrate your ability to explain the key features and benefits of this reg or that BCD.

Dive CV's are different to any other job. Just a side - or 2 max - of A4. A picture is a must - we get many DM's Intrustors, boat captians, climbers etc dropping their resume's off, so its helpful to be able to put a mane to the right face when sifting through our file. Just a head shot is preferable - large or full profile shots of you in dive gear/diving are not so desirable - I already know you can dive!

Important info to put at the top with your picture - full name, instructor/dm level and membership number and what agency/agencies you teach, phone number, availability (long term, a few months etc), if you have full equipment, and pro liability insurance - its not mandatory where we're based but we wouldn't employ staff who didn't have it.

The rest can cover what specs you teach, your work experience and cert numbers etc if you are an instructor. Also any experience in the area - eg do you know the dive sites. Also add in any additional industry training you have (captains licence, tech quals, compressor use/maintenance etc) as well as any none industry transferable skills which may be of use to the business - sales & marketing, social media, graphic design, mechanic, electrician etc etc.

Good luck getting the job :)

Dive CV's are different to any other job. Just a side - or 2 max - of A4. A picture is a must - we get many DM's Intrustors, boat captians, climbers etc dropping their resume's off, so its helpful to be able to put a mane to the right face when sifting through our file. Just a head shot is preferable - large or full profile shots of you in dive gear/diving are not so desirable - I already know you can dive!

Important info to put at the top with your picture - full name, instructor/dm level and membership number and what agency/agencies you teach, phone number, availability (long term, a few months etc), if you have full equipment, and pro liability insurance - its not mandatory where we're based but we wouldn't employ staff who didn't have it.

The rest can cover what specs you teach, your work experience and cert numbers etc if you are an instructor. Also any experience in the area - eg do you know the dive sites. Also add in any additional industry training you have (captains licence, tech quals, compressor use/maintenance etc) as well as any none industry transferable skills which may be of use to the business - sales & marketing, social media, graphic design, mechanic, electrician etc etc.

Good luck getting the job :)

I notice you're in Thailand, so maybe it's a cultural difference. In the US it's considered incredibly bad form, and quite unprofessional to include a photo of yourself on a standard resume. We're such a litigious group that anything that could lead to perceived selection based on appearance is bad in our eyes.

I notice you're in Thailand, so maybe it's a cultural difference. In the US it's considered incredibly bad form, and quite unprofessional to include a photo of yourself on a standard resume. We're such a litigious group that anything that could lead to perceived selection based on appearance is bad in our eyes.

You're not wrong. However, in the isolated world of diving, I would assume that there are practical applications to a photo. Perhaps, instead of attaching a headshot, which could be used to determine age, sex, race, etc... it would be preferable to include a dive shot, showing configuration, trim, stability, etc.... I am only speculating here. My background is military(experience) and human resources(academic), so I do have EO experience and am aware of the litigation risk involved with a photo. However, I also believe that with the niche environment diving provides, looking for a DM should include competence factors that include physical characteristics.

On the cautious side, I would venture to say that it is in the best business practices to only hire "fit" DM's, on account of the "physical requirement" involved in potential circumstances.

In Thailand, I have no idea what is accepted. Good luck!

A resume is a resume, and they want one focused on diving. Start with the date and location of each certification you have. Next, list your dive experience, including total dives, total hours under water, and break it down a little by type and condition: ocean dives, fresh water dives, cold water dives, etc. Next list any dive related jobs you have had. It is ok to list volunteer stuff ( aquarium cleaning, assist in open water training events, etc) but note it was volunteer and not paid. Next list other relevant employment, even if not dive related. That includes other teaching, other retail work, etc. I also think that it is useful to list equipment lines with which you are familiar, through use and/or ownership. Good luck with your application.
DuvematerDennis

Duly noted, and yes, appreciate there may be some variances on this. For us we do not use it to discriminate - more so we know who is who when calling around for freelancers, and also to save ourselves some embarrassment when they show up and we cant remember who they are! However I completely understand that in more westernised, anti-discriminatory aware (from a legal perspective) locations, that would change things a bit.

To the OP - go with whatever is the status quo in your area picture wise. I like the idea of a picture showing your equipment configuration and trim as an alternative if you decide to include a photo of some kind.

Everything dive related will help on the resume. Long, long ago when I was just a diver and decided that I wanted to be in the dive business, I wrote some articles about diving and local dive sites. They don't have to be in Nat Geo or Newsweek, just some freelance articles for a local hometown newspaper or dive magazine. They can reflect well on a job candidate and make a great addition to a resume.

Of course, the first step was racking up a few years of logged dives and a some basic business skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom