Dive Rescue Team saves 7 year old boy in OH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the updates..I have been following this and wish the best for the young boy. It is sad that it happened but good that the rescuers at least gave these folks a chance to have their little boy with them still.

The tragedy is this community not having a trained water rescue team. I understand that there was a delay in making the initial call for help, a delay in authorities making a call for the dive team, a long response, etc. This child is alive after spending 67 minutes underwater. How better off would he be if the response had only been 10 minutes, 20 minutes or 40 minutes? We will never know. We do know though that it only took the diver three minutes to find Alax in 8 feet of water.

Fortunately we have stories like Rose Marshal (Evansville, IN / Dec 1, 2009) and Reese Wagner (Bartlett, TN / Jan 2010) for inspiration. On NBC Today they featured a story of a toddler that drowned in a bathtub. Bronson Staker has made a full recovery following medically induced hypothermia, an experimental medical procedure that may change the way we revive patients in the future. To see the video from this morning's NBC Today show, visit:
Today Show Video Player

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 533 people, 256 households, and 136 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,605.0 people per square mile (1,029.0/km²). The per capita income for the village was $15,339. i live near this village. i dont think you understand the distance from a properly trained dive team. this is a very small country town. thay have a stop light and 1 grocery store. please dont beat them up to bad. with a per capita income of 15,339 for the village there isint much left to train a proper water rescue team

A good illustration why you should never give up on a victim of a cold water drowning. Like the doc said "They ain't dead until they are warm and dead."

I wish more ER's would catch a clue as to warming first.

Please know that my March 12th comment was sincere. I think it is unfortunate that the community does not have a trained water rescue team. I can certainly understand the challenges that small communities face as I see these challenges first hand on a regular basis. I wish ALL communities could afford to have trained officers, rescuers, and divers on hand to provide the best possible public safety services.

I also thank "11x" for bringing the reality of this tragedy to our attention.

Respectfully,

Blades Robinson

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 533 people, 256 households, and 136 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,605.0 people per square mile (1,029.0/km²). The per capita income for the village was $15,339. i live near this village. i don't think you understand the distance from a properly trained dive team. this is a very small country town. thay have a stop light and 1 grocery store. please dont beat them up to bad. with a per capita income of 15,339 for the village there isint much left to train a proper water rescue team

The tragedy is this community not having a trained water rescue team. I understand that there was a delay in making the initial call for help, a delay in authorities making a call for the dive team, a long response, etc. This child is alive after spending 67 minutes underwater. How better off would he be if the response had only been 10 minutes, 20 minutes or 40 minutes? We will never know. We do know though that it only took the diver three minutes to find Alax in 8 feet of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom