dive reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea-Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This Florida dive location has a lot to offer.

One nice thing about this location is that there is plenty of activities for the whole family. It's fun to interact with the parks guests through the underwater theater windows. They still do a mermaid show twice a day. Historically speaking, this location was one of the first locations that saw the first divers--all the way back to the 40’s. It is a unique location and if you are interested in dive history you should check it out. The water is 74.2 degrees year round, and is a great option when the ocean gets rough.

If you bring your non-diver friends and family, there is a popular surface scuba program called SEA Diver that they can try. There is also some of the lightweight scuba gear available (Rapid’s) if you don’t want to bring your own. If you like canoeing, they offer canoe trips down the Weeki Wachee River—about a two hour trip, and they pick you up at the end of the run. A Florida must see.

www.diveweeki.com

diversolo:
Does anyone have any info on diving the old phosphate docks off Boca Grande? I know the current can be ripping and must be dived during slack tide, but any additional info would be appreciated. I've heard the depth is 60+ fsw, which would make it the deepest in-shore dive in the area.

The Phosphate Dock used to be a GREAT dive -- until they razed the upper decking. That changed the amount of shading and affected the amount of marine life out there. Still a decent dive, but not the same. Its still one of the few places in the world you can do a beach dive and see 200 pound grouper. It stays relatively shallow for quite a ways until you get out by the large mooring dolphins. I have not been back in several years and am not sure if they went ahead with the development plans for the area. There is also the shorter fuel dock closer to the tip of the island, but it gets deep pretty quick and you are more exposed to currents. Start out at the park at the end of Boca Grande and hike on around the beach.
Be aware that the dock is a popular spot for guides to pick up bait and also fish for goliaths (catch and release). Now with the decking gone, there is not as much protection.

For information on Florida shipwrecks - there is but one book to get... :wink:

Scubaguy62:
RECENT UPDATE!!! (AS OF AUGUST 2006)

Hurricanes Jeanne, Frances and Wilma have opened up a third tier to the reef, which is approximately 50' east of the 2nd tier. The 2nd and 3rd tier join together into a very nice and complex reef structure on the north side of 12th St., not much further than approximately 100 yrds north of the entry point from 12th St. Now more than ever, the north side of the reef is the nicer side.

I dive this site a minimum of 3 times a month, and everytime I see something different. My last dive there (last day of this year's mini-season), we came accross two playful green moray eels, and three even more playful yellow stingrays, notwithstanding the treat of a Hawksbill turtle that was taking a rest in one of the crevices. One lobster was spotted, and chased, but got away; it was an easy keeper :(

During the end of May through Mid June this year, the tarpon were running every day, and every time I dove the site, we ran into a school of about 20 - 25 four to six foot tarpon swimming by. But the encounter that IMHO has, hands down, been the most exciting for me was when I swam over a juvenile Manta Ray that was sucking up planckton in about 10 fsw. She wasn't big (about 6' wingspan), but extremely rare for this area, thus a very nice treat. If you're brave enough, and have enough gas supply, you could swimm east all the way to the Pompano Drop-off (about 500 yds from the shore).

The best way to judge the current is to observe the buoy; it will lean in the direction where the current is headed, so you can plan accordingly.

The parking situation on the empty lot south of the shopping strip has not changed; if you park there, you will be towed. As of the last day of this year's mini-season, one of the meters has been removed and has not been replaced. It's still $1.00 per hr., and if the meters are all occupied, the west end of 13th st. is the best alternative ('tis free).

Most recently visited July 27, 2006.
Great job with this info. I have dove Pompano in the past, and you taught me a few things. Thanks!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom